LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nested Subpanels for LVOOP Class Hierarchy

Hi,

I am trying to figure out a way to create a configuration window for a class object using a subpanel. The problem is that I have LVOOP class hierarchy of 3 levels, and thus I want to use nested subpanels, one subpanel for each inheritance.

For example, 

A.lvclass (abstract class)

• Private Data Members
    •  String A
  • Configuration Window VI ( Within a FP there is a String A control and a subpanel for its child class)

B.lvclass (abstract class) (child of A.lvclass)

• Private Data Members
    • Boolean A
    • Boolean B
  • Configuration Window VI (Within the FP there is a Boolean A control and a Boolean B control, plus a subpanel for its child class)

C1.lvclass (concrete class) (child of B.lvclass)

• Private Data Members
    • File Path A
  • Configuration Window VI (Within the FP there is a File Path A control)

C2.lvclass (concrete class) (child of B.lvclass)

• Private Data Members
    • Boolean C
  • Configuration Window VI (Within the FP there is a Boolean C control)

What I am trying to accomplish is to create configuration windows for C1 and C2. For each configration window, there are sections for class A and class B, and for the class itself. However, I do not want to recreate the same section (for A and B) over and over again each time new children (siblings of C1) are introduced. To avoid this duplicate task, I think using nested supanes makes sense. But I don't know the best way to do it. Any advice is appreciated 🙂

Thank you

TailOfGon
Certified LabVIEW Architect 2013
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,944 Views)

Don't ever use nested subpanels

BAD BAD things happen

- James

Using LV 2012 on Windows 7 64 bit
Message 2 of 7
(2,934 Views)

See these two threads and be sure to read them thoroughly and follow the links:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/An-experiment-in-creating-compositable-user-interfaces-for/m-p/12623...

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/A-more-successful-experiment-in-creating-compositable-user/m-p/12768...

Hi, James

Did you mean not to use nested subpanels in general or in this specific situation? It would be great if you can explain it based on your experience 🙂

TailOfGon
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,876 Views)

Thank you tst.

I looked at the examples posted on the links. The way to use a picture control there was very insteresting and creative. I also liked the dynamic dispatching capability it provides as well as the flexibility. 

It would be great if I can just start using the library to create my configuration window... however, my configuration window has some dynamic elements. For example, it has a string control which can get disabled depending on the status of a checkbox control right above it. The picture control solution does not have a solution for such cases.

TailOfGon
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,859 Views)

Well, as both AQ and I said in those threads, the things we posted are experiments, not completed frameworks. Personally, I prefered the way I went (see my posts in those threads) and you might prefer it as well, but it also has its issues.

(2,852 Views)

Thank you tst

I took a brief look at your code (Class Hierarchy Config). The behavior is what I was trying to accomplish. Also, I liked that you can select how you want to display the dialog. I am going to look at it deeper later this month.

Thank you!

TailOfGon
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,838 Views)