Getting Started with BeagleBone Black and LabVIEW Community Edition

Getting Started with Raspberry Pi and LabVIEW Community Edition

These tutorials use videos and numbered steps to walk you through:

1. Downloading and installing LabVIEW Community Edition
  2. Activating
  3. Configuring the hardware
  4. Exploring an example
  5. Creating a start-up application

They are part of a new set of Getting Started Tutorials. Most are available in multiple languages.

We’d love to hear what makes a tutorial helpful to you 👇.

UX Researcher,
Digital Shared Services
Message 1 of 11
(2,578 Views)

@gperezdelaosa wrote:

Hello all!

We’d love to hear what makes a tutorial helpful to you 👇.

People who read them before creating new threads.

Can we get those links up top under the training resources area in the LabVIEW Board Intro section? Thanks.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(2,544 Views)

This is great, 

Would be cool to see official LabVIEW support for the BBB (debian) and RPi (raspian) without LYNX. 

(2,487 Views)

@Jay14159265 wrote:

This is great, 

Would be cool to see official LabVIEW support for the BBB (debian) and RPi (raspian) without LYNX. 

Very little chance for that. They both use ARM CPUs and are compiled in a different ABI mode than what the LabVIEW ARM runtime uses for the cRIOs and the Rpi/BbB.

While the building blocks all exist in LabVIEW, adding a new platform (or more likely two since Raspbian is sufficiently different to the Beaglebone Black system) is a lot more work than just throwing a few compile switches. Not to talk about the needed testing.

I don’t see NI doing that work for a platform that delivers exactly 0$ in revenues.

Beaglebone Black is mostly a niche platform nowadays and certainly wouldn’t be included in Linx today if they had to decide about that. It exists today in Linx only because it is more work to remove it than to let it linger in it unmaintained.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(2,415 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

Beaglebone Black is mostly a niche platform nowadays and certainly wouldn’t be included in Linx today if they had to decide about that. It exists today in Linx only because it is more work to remove it than to let it linger in it unmaintained.

Which is exactly why it would be nice to see native support. In the case of BeagleBone and RPi, it's like the classic battle of Beta vs VHS, where BeagleBone is Beta and RPi is VHS. 

Conversely it would be nice to see a community edition SBRIO : ) 

(2,376 Views)

@Jay14159265 wrote:

@rolfk wrote:

Which is exactly why it would be nice to see native support. In the case of BeagleBone and RPi, it's like the classic battle of Beta vs VHS, where BeagleBone is Beta and RPi is VHS. 

@Jay14159265 wrote:

@rolfk wrote:

Please tell me what you were smoking! I want to try that stuff too! 😀

Honestly, NI open sourcing the sbRIO hardware seems to me as likely as hell freezing over. Not before the end of the universe, 😎

As to if Rpi or BbB being the VHS or Betamax, I’m sure there are very varying opinions. The used CPU chip is different and-you may preferTI to Broadcom but in terms of active support the Raspberry Pi Foundation has outperformed TI on every possible front.

And even the best hardware is only as good as the software support it comes with, unless hou plan to write the software all yourself. 😀

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,336 Views)

As to if Rpi or BbB being the VHS or Betamax, I’m sure there are very varying opinions. The used CPU chip is different and-you may preferTI to Broadcom but in terms of active support the Raspberry Pi Foundation has outperformed TI on every possible front.

And even the best hardware is only as good as the software support it comes with, unless hou plan to write the software all yourself. 😀

RPi wins just like VHS ... is it better or worse, who cares, it won. But still it is interesting that NI is pushing tutorials on hardware that it does not officially support. Why would anyone learn LabVIEW to program a RPi or BagleBone? If you are getting into single board hobby computers or microcontrollers, LabVIEW is the not the first language you should be worried about (see conversation above).

So if you want to learn LabVEW, why use RPi or BBB? Better off getting a USB-6008 and learning real LabVEIW I/0 and not LYNX. Just seems like a strage learning path no matter how you slice it. 

@Jay14159265 wrote:

So if you want to learn LabVEW, why use RPi or BBB? Better off getting a USB-6008 and learning real LabVEIW I/0 and not LYNX. Just seems like a strage learning path no matter how you slice it. 

I won’t argue with that! Using Rpi to learn LabVIEW is a very roundabout way. I didn’t think that was what you were arguing before, so if you did just ignore my previous message.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,313 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

I won’t argue with that! Using Rpi to learn LabVIEW is a very roundabout way. I didn’t think that was what you were arguing before, so if you did just ignore my previous message.

No problem, I'm not sure if I was arguing anything, just typing while waiting for my test system to go beep : ) 

(2,308 Views)

Does NI no longer offer access to pdf copies of tutorial lessons?  For example, the "Getting Started with LabVIEW." 

LabVIEW is not the core component of our junior-level Instrumentation Lab, and our students are simply exposed to the basics of NI's LabVIEW environment.  They can explore further if they choose. 

The online lessons are very poorly presented.  The current GSWL online tutorial starts with, "Download the software..."  followed by numerous 'setup' instructions and specific hardware examples.  My students are logging onto computers that already have LabVIEW on them...they are not administrators of university machines.  There is one monitor connected to PCs they are using, and it is cumbersome to read the tutorial on the same screen that LabVIEW is run on. 

The previous printable versions start with, "LabVIEW programs are call virtual instruments, or VI's..." or "LabVIEW (Laboratory Virtual Instrument Engineering Workbench)..."

I tried to download the "Getting Started with LabVIEW" lesson from https://www.ni.com/docs/en-US/bundle/labview/page/lvhowto/lv_getting_started.html, but the following pops up in the bottom corner of the browser (Google Chrome) 

Templeton_0-1664310339540.png

and never downloads (even after 5hrs)...and appears even after I restart my computer and return to the website.

Same result with Microsoft Edge...

Templeton_1-1664312875736.png

Where can I download the latest printable version of "Getting Started with LabVIEW" before it was converted to a scrolling webpage with multiple links to other scrolling webpages?  It is much more efficient tell the students to turn to page X, rather than saying open this tutorial on the NI website then click on link X 3/4 the way down the page then click on the link Y 7/9 down the following page then click on the link Z towards the top of the page...(no not that link...scroll down further...go back up a little...that one there)...and on and on.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(1,894 Views)