LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure how to implement the 'Create File with Incrementing Suffix' VI to save images

Hello,

I have tried to implement the 'Create File with Incrementing Suffix' VI into my code to try and save time when acquiring multiple images however haven't been successful in doing so. Could some one help me with this problem. Thanks.

pic.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(4,925 Views)

You don't have the "Create File with Incrementing Suffix" VI anywhere in your code...

That VI creates an actual file. I don't know if the IMAQ Write File VI can overwrite an existing file, but it's possible that it won't allow that. If you just want to generate the filename without creating the file, open the Create File VI and Save As with your own name and remove the part of the code that creates the file. I have created a VI like this, attached.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(4,918 Views)
Sorry I have tried to put the 'incremating suffix' VI in but I removed it since I couldn't get it to work. I would like to click 'capture' and for it to save the image without me having to name the image since I'll be taking up to 300 images at a time
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(4,908 Views)

Well the way your code is set up right now, you will have that problem because you are prompting every time you capture. Instead, use a filepath control that the use has to select before capturing. Without complicating your general architecture,this is how I would do it:

Capture.png

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,895 Views)

Hi, what is the VI with the red 'PATH ONLY' on it? I do not seem to have it installed on my labview?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(4,858 Views)

Sorry ignore this message I am mistaken.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(4,845 Views)

Hello when I click 'capture' I get the following error:

Error 1430 occurred at Create File Path with Incrementing Suffix.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: The path is empty or relative. You must use an absolute path.

Complete call chain:
Create File Path with Incrementing Suffix.vi
r.vi

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,843 Views)

Did you supply a file path from the front panel (ie actually choose a file to write to)?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,840 Views)

No I didn't what is supposed to go in the file path box?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,837 Views)

This is a useful VI, but is "complicated" when used with IMAQ.  It is designed for the normal File I/O functions, and performs two actions -- if you give it a full file path, it will open/create a file for you (giving you a File Handle that IMAQ doesn't want/need) and a "unique file name".  About a week ago, a similar question was asked, and I described how to do this here.  Check it out.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,833 Views)