LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help with Vi!

I'm new to LabVIEW.

I need someone to check my Vi.
I have a data, I have counted maximum and Derivative, but now I need to create Tau Graph(Graph 3)

DERIVATIVE / Exp(x)

Can someone tell me do I need a XY graph or waveform?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,421 Views)
Hello,

If you can define what a Tau graph is I should be able to tell you which graph type(s) makes sense with it.  In general, an xy graph is used to plot a set of general (x,y) coordinates, which don't necessarily define a function formally.  That is, you can plot circles and any other genenral "graph" of connected vertices.  The chart and graph types on the other hand will plot points of data corresponding to an array (or accumulate such points in the case of a chart).  You can modify how the data is plotted in a graph by bundling (in order) an x0 start value scalar, a delta-x separation scalar, and the array of data.  If you have not already seen them, check out the Waveform Graph, Graph
Best,
JLS
Sixclear
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,378 Views)
sorry, that last post was submitted prematurely... here it is in its entirety:

Hello,

If you can define what a Tau graph is I should be able to tell you which graph type(s) makes sense with it.  In general, an xy graph is used to plot a set of general (x,y) coordinates, which don't necessarily define a formal function (every element in the domain set maps to only one element).  That is, you can plot circles and any other genenral "graph" of connected vertices.  The chart and graph types on the other hand will plot points of data corresponding to an array (or accumulate such points in the case of a chart).  You can modify how the data is plotted in a graph by bundling (in order) an x0 start value scalar, a delta-x separation scalar, and the array of data.  If you have not already seen them, check out the Waveform Graph, Graph Waveform Arrays, and XY Graph examples in the Example Finder.  You can find them by clicking Help -> Find Examples... in LabVIEW, and then navigating the tree structure you see to: Fundamentals -> Graphs and Charts.

If you can be more specific about what you are trying to plot, I may be able to direct you more specifically.  In general, if you would like to graph a function of x vs x, where the x-data you have is evenly spaced, then a simple graph or chart is likely best.  Whereas if you have an arbitrary x array and y array which define x and y coordinates (by picking common indices from the arrays to form points), then an xy graph is better.

Thanks, and feel free to repost to hash out more detail!

Best Regards,

JLS

Best,
JLS
Sixclear
Message 3 of 5
(2,377 Views)
Thanks JLS!

"if you have an arbitrary x array and y array which define x and y coordinates (by picking common indices from the arrays to form points), then an xy graph is better." - I have such case!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,342 Views)
Great!

Thanks for the update and happy LabVIEW programming!

Best Regards,

JLS
Best,
JLS
Sixclear
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,320 Views)