LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Data from Serial Port in LabVIEW 2010 Error 1073807253

I am having trouble getting data from the serial port without getting an error. We have come to the conclusion that the problem lies within the VI in the serial port subvi's. Everytime I try to run the Serial Port Read.vi on the Front Panel, I come with the error --> (Hex 0xBFFF006B) [Error 1073807253]. If someone could help me understand:

1. What does this error mean? or Is this error normal?

2. How can I correct the error?

Our short term goal is to get the serial port to read data (even if nonsensical at the moment) and not read an error. I have attached screen shots of the main VI we are using 3DMultiAxisRotation.vi Block Diagram and subvi's from that VI. The labels for important subvi's should be above each respect subvi. I will repost directly below this meaage with three more screen shots that might be helpful. Thank you very much for any and all help!

-Clay

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,450 Views)

Here is the repost with three more screen shots that may be of use.

-Clay

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,449 Views)

Have you tried something simple such as using Hyperterminal or something like it to try to communicate to the instrument?

Message 3 of 8
(3,439 Views)

It is a framing error.  I would first double check your baud rate.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 8
(3,437 Views)

I'm new to LabVIEW and many of it's terminologies. Could you please explain how I could check to correct the "baud rate"? Also, I'm not sure what a framing error means. I've tried looking up the error code online, but it was no help for me. Thank you!

-Clay

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,433 Views)

These are actually hardware terms, not LabVIEW.  Anyways, in RS-232 a typical frame of data consists of a start bit, data bits, and a stop bit.  These settings (plus more) are configurable.  A framing error means that this frame format was not followed and the data could not be extracted.  Baud rate is the number of bits are transfered in a second.  If the sender and reciever are set to different rates, the data will not be properly transfered.  If you do not know what settings you need for you RS-232 port, you need to figure that out before you can continue in the software world.  Use the Configure Serial Port VI in order to set these settings.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 6 of 8
(3,427 Views)

Your code is in serious need of major rework. You have no order. You are doing a read in parallel with doing the init. Unless you are using a very, very old version of LabVIEW, you should not be using those serial functions at all. Use the VISA functions and enforce dataflow by connecting the error in/error out.

Framing errors indicate a mismatch in the serial settings. It should be clear from the user manual what you should be configuring the port on the pc. With the VISA Configure Serial Port, you simply right click on the inputs and select Create Constant and then use the correct constant for baud rate, parity, stop bits, etc.

p.s. Search HERE for the error code.

Message 7 of 8
(3,426 Views)

Thanks guys, I now have a few new directions to try.

-Clay

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,409 Views)