ni.com checkout is currently experiencing issues.

Support teams are actively working on the resolution.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Shared Variables on cRIO

Hello All,

I'm picking up some inherited code for a modification and deployment to a new test site with new hardware. The code is built on DQMH and this is my first time getting my feet wet with DQMH. I've got the code running on the new cRIO successfully, and it appears that the core functionality of the app is working fine. Network published shard variables are used to pass data between the hardware layers. But as I try to figure out the details of the code, I can't see any of my shared variables. This is making it nearly impossible to navigate across the layers of DQMH code.

Here is what I've found:
- Distributed System Manager won't launch from the project tools. It is looking for a version folder 23.3, which I was unable to find. I have 23.1 currently. I updated it, and the new version that was installed is 24.1, with no option to select a 23.3. If I launch it on its own, DSM does not see my cRIO. Trying to start the Variable Engine from within DSM fails with error -1967362042.

- The services for NI PSP and NI Variable Engine are not running on my Win10 PC. When trying to start each respectively, I get NI PSP = Error 1069: The service did not start due to a logon failure. Starting the NI Variable Engine = Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.  For the logon, there is already a UN and PW listed there, and I have not been able to change it.

- Some documentation I found mentioned IP ports. The specific ports mentioned are not open, but again, my application is running so it must be transferring data. I just can't see it. Also, the original setup is still running, and those ports are not open on that system either.

Any ideas on how to get this working? Seems to me I need to get the services running before DSM will show anything.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(188 Views)

It sounds like you might be missing some aspect of LabVIEW that you need to run Shared Variables.  Personally, after several attempts (starting about 15 years ago), I've tried to use Shared Variables in LabVIEW RT Projects, but even when I used them "sparingly", they always eventually "blew up" my Project, and I have abandoned them and use Network Streams to communicate between Host and Target (others, I see, prefer TCP or UDP, but I've found few long-time Posters who like Shared Variables).

if you have a "spare machine" you can use as a test case, I recommend doing the following:

• Remove all NI Software.  The following is one (and probably the only) way to do this:
    • Open NIPM.
    • Go to the "Installation" Page that lists your Products.  Uncheck "Products Only".
    • Lick the top Check Box (it says "Name" next to it).  This means "Remove everything".
    • Click "Remove".  You do not want to "Repair".
    • Wait a while (at least tens of minutes, I'd guess).
    • Reboot when done.
    • Log in, and start NIPM again.  If there are more things to remove (other than NIPM itself) do it again.  Reboot.
    • When you get to the point that you have only NIPM, go ahead and remove it.  You will get a warning, but go ahead anyway.  Reboot.
    • See if you can locate and run "Control Panel".  If so, choose "Add/Remove Software".  See if anything is listed under "National Instruments".  If there is anything, remove it.  Reboot.
    • You should now have a system with no "installed" NI Software.  There will still be files and folders left behind, but it is safer to just leave them alone.  Do not try to forcibly remove anything with "Cleaners" or "Registry Fixers" -- this will probably prevent installing any working version of LabVIEW without first reinstalling Windows!
  • Once you have a system without LabVIEW, reinstall LabVIEW 2021, 32-bit.  [I assume you have a license or a serial number to activate it ...].
  • You will want to install LabVIEW Real-Time Module, and the CompactRIO driver.  Be judicious about installing (only) the add-ons that you know you need.  It is easier to add them later than to try to remove them.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(150 Views)

Thanks Bob,

I did pretty much everything you had proposed prior to coming to the NI forums.  However, prior to going through the motions a second time, I got a corporate notice that I needed to refresh my PC soon, so I used that as the opportunity to get a fresh start.  I'm finally on the other side of that with a new laptop, but run into a separate NI install problem.

Once I get past that, I'll get to your last bullet points and see where I'm at and let you know.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(84 Views)