LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Program to calculate the total harmonic distortion of a set of data/values.

HOW TO BUILD A PROGRAM WITH TOTAL HARMONIC DISTORTION INFORMING THE VALUES?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(571 Views)

I probably would use LabVIEW. What have you tried? Where does the data come from?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(513 Views)

Do you understand what "total harmonic distortion" means?  What does "a set of data/values" mean?  Where did these "values" come from?  Do you have any "engineering" experience, particularly do you know anything about "signals" and "signal analysis"?

If you already "have the data", and know something about signal analysis and what "total harmonic distortion" means, it should be simple for you to write down (pencil and paper) a formula/method for calculating THD (if you've forgotten the formula from your undergraduate days, the Web might help).  Now all you have to do is (a) verify that your data is appropriate for analysis, and (b) do the calculation you need using whatever Programming Language (I'd use LabVIEW, myself) to do the calculation.  Note that if the data are in a file, you may need to learn how to do File I/O in your chosen programming language ...

If your goal is to do this in LabVIEW, you need to learn a little LabVIEW.  There are some suggestions for learning LabVIEW on the first page of this Forum, or you could pay attention if you are taking a course in LabVIEW.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(491 Views)

there exists a promising subroutine in the signal processing palette

https://www.ni.com/docs/de-DE/bundle/labview-api-ref/page/vi-lib/measure/matone-llb/harmonic-distort...

the palette or rather the toolkit is part of the LabView professional edition.

AFAIK there is no run-time licence needed, if you use those .vis in your .exe 

but if you have Labview Basic or LabView Full, you have to download the toolkit here: https://www.ni.com/de/support/downloads/software-products/download.labview-advanced-signal-processin...

However, I don't know if you need to acquire a development licence for toolkit in labview full or labview basic.. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(471 Views)

You did not specify any details, so typically this is often used to characterize e.g. audio amplifiers and speakers, but there are many other fields. You also did not say if your primary problem is with the theory, the programming implementation, or any hardware setup.

Since you posted in the LabVIEW forum, lets assume you need help with programming. To implement the math, you really don't need anything special. All you need to have is a signal of sufficient length and knowledge of the fundamental frequency. Do you want to just measure one frequency or graph THD over a range of frequency from a set of experiments?

Are you looking for a simulation or are you trying to build a test setup generating sine waves and measure the response after the signal has passed through the system under test?

Now start reading here. Seems quite simple.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(453 Views)