LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programmatically deleting a splitter crashes LabVIEW

This simple code crashes LV in every version I have tested (LV2016-32bit, LV2021-32bit, LV2023-64bit):

raphschru_0-1710069870011.png

I'm looking for a way to programmatically delete the entire splitter hierarchy from a VI's front panel.

Regards,

Raphaël.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(463 Views)

I believe your problem comes from the fact that you use a static reference. As such the VI is part of the executing VI hierarchy and therefore is put in reserved mode. However scripting on VIs that are not in edit mode is not possible.

You need to open the VI reference explicitly through an Open VI Reference node and the correct path to your VI.

I take that back, the Splitter seems not possible to Delete. It also can't be selected in the front panel and deleted. You explicitly have to select the "Remove with Adjoining Splitters" menu but there seems no corresponding scripting method for that.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 2 of 13
(434 Views)

Hi rolfk,

Thanks for your response. Having a static VI reference in a script diagram forces it in memory but does not put it in reserved mode when the script is running. I've always done scripting like that without any problem. Also, opening the VI by path with "Open VI Reference" makes no difference.

Regards,

Raphaël.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(417 Views)

Continuing further my investigation, the VI method "Empty" (that empties both the BD and the FP) also makes LV crash when there is more than 1 splitter to remove in the FP.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(388 Views)

I've never worked with splitters, but could you make a recursive VI that calls itself with a reference to a sub-splitter (if present), otherwise it deletes itself?  [I haven't done enough with LabVIEW scripting to try the experiment myself].

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(376 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion, but I can't even delete a single Splitter without crashing LV, and the only way to access the splitters in through the Front Panel's "Splitters[]" property.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(354 Views)

As mentioned before, splitters seem to be a special object unlike other front panel objects. Apparently it's not so simple to just delete them, since they do interact with each other and the window itself to support the various resizing options. So deleting the object requires to inform all adjunct splitters and the window to be informed about this. And there is a special method for that in the pop-up menu. In the front panel the delete seems explicitly disabled for a splitter (selecting it and pressing delete doesn't do anything unlike for other objects) but in the scripting interface this has been overlooked.

The fact that the Delete method for that object simply crashes is definitely a bug. Even if it would be not possible to implement that method for some reason, it should be stubbed out and produce an error rather than going off into lala land.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(317 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

The fact that the Delete method for that object simply crashes is definitely a bug. Even if it would be not possible to implement that method for some reason, it should be stubbed out and produce an error rather than going off into lala land.

Completely useless, but...

wiebeCARYA_0-1710158596505.png

Produces the expected error:

wiebeCARYA_1-1710158668970.png

Message 8 of 13
(299 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@rolfk wrote:

In this case it is the Panel that is not deletable, just as the block diagram. It has nothing to do with splitters.

Message 9 of 13
(296 Views)

@raphschru wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@rolfk wrote:

In this case it is the Panel that is not deletable, just as the block diagram. It has nothing to do with splitters.

🌴🙄 (:palmface:)

Shouldn't (try to) do scripting right after lunch.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(289 Views)