LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Explorer "Rename" bug (or feature?)

Not sure what is going on but in a nutshell, I can't rename some VIs in a project permanently. By this I mean that I can transiently rename them, but they eventually revert to their original name.

Let's start with a snapshot of the project content:

ScreenHunter_001.jpg

Notice the selected VI. It has a small "s" variable name in it. I'd like it to be capital S like all other VIs. Also take a look at the VI called J(S, ) PDF.vi below it. The letter is capital S.

Now I right-click the selected VI and chose: Rename

I get an Explorer dialog window where I change the name to "J(S, ) Normalization Factor [Sum].vi" and after the following warning dialog:

ScreenHunter_002.jpg

I press OK and contemplate with satisfaction the new project explorer window:

ScreenHunter_003.jpg

Amazing feats of modern technology!

But wait! What about J(s, ) PDF.vi? Why has it switched to a small "s"?

After almost 20 years of LV, I have stopped asking questions like this, so I just go ahead and am about to rename it to J(S, ) PDF.vi...but hold on a second... What the????

Here is my Project Explorer window:

ScreenHunter_004.jpg

The Normalization VI has reverted its name to small "s"!!!

I have tried everything, there is no way I can rename those VIs from the Project Explorer.

For what this is worth, PDF is a subVI of Normalization. But why would it matter?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,070 Views)

@X. wrote:

ScreenHunter_002.jpg

I don't see any OK button...

What if you rename it from the files view (second tab)? Does that work better?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,062 Views)

Oopss. Obviously I am using LV 2012... There must have been a typo in that folder name ;-(

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,054 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@X. wrote:

ScreenHunter_002.jpg

I don't see any OK button...

There is none. The correct action is to press "Yes" (the explorer doesn't distinguish between cases).

What if you rename it from the files view (second tab)? Does that work better?

I tried that and interestingly, the change is reflected in the "Items" Tab but not in the "Files" one...

But if I try to then rename the second VI of the pair, the reversion behavior I described is reproduced...

Therefore I stand by my report.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,050 Views)

How about if you first rename it to something that Windows does NOT cosnider to be the same file (e.g., J(Ss...)) and then rname it to what you want (i.e., J(S...))?  I think it has more to do with Windows filenaming than LabVIEW.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,040 Views)

That is a workaround and that's perfectly fine, but my point was to inform whomever it may concern that there is a bug in the system.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,030 Views)

@X. wrote:

That is a workaround and that's perfectly fine, but my point was to inform whomever it may concern that there is a bug in the system.

It's certainly very weird, and has something to do with the fact that LabVIEW is really creating a copy of the file and updating all the pointers.  Using the same file name seems to upset it.  I have to say that it is certainly a bug.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,024 Views)

I'd say it's a windows feature, it's been that way since they introduced long filenames in fat32. Rename in 2 steps, first remove the 's', then add it as a capital.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,010 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

I'd say it's a windows feature, it's been that way since they introduced long filenames in fat32. Rename in 2 steps, first remove the 's', then add it as a capital.

/Y

I would agree it's part of the answer, but why would it go rename a subVI, too?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,992 Views)

@billko wrote:
I would agree it's part of the answer, but why would it go rename a subVI, too?

Good question, but it seems it's still using the 8.3 name standard under the hood, in which there's no case sensitivity. I'd say that's the root of the issue.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,990 Views)