LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reassign shared variable hosts in bulk?

We have two targets. We have large numbers of shared variables shared between them. But they are not shared properly. They are shared only in the sense that they both refer to the same file location on my PC. But on each target, it thinks of itself as the host for its variables. Each one refers to its own shared variables instead of both of them looking to one target to be the host. I would like to get rid of one of the sets of shared variables and point all of them to the same element in the other.

Is there a not-absolutely-terrible way to do this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,856 Views)

Have you considered using a global variable? When you deploy a global variable does it in fact duplicate the variable? I use globals to transfer unchanging information, like network configurations, so I wouldn't notice.

It sounds like you want to use the shared variables for the transfer of changing information. Maybe you could modify the system so that each location has a 'model' of the truth and then exchange messages between them to update each model. This would be a formalism of the currently confusing shared variable situation.

CLA - Kudos is how we show our appreciation for comments that helped us!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,825 Views)