LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reboot a remote cRIO lost in MAX

Hi,

I am working with a cRIO 9014 that is far away from my office and inaccessible during the winter. I was testing a program that transfers files from cRIO to Host PC using TCP network connection and I definitively lost contact with the cRIO. I can ping it and look at the files on its "ftp://" but it always appeared disconnected in MAX and when I tried to reboot it from the project explorer, I get a message saying that the cRIO may be offline or unresponsive.  Briefly, the cRIO is still on my network but doesn't respond to LabView and MAX.

I am sure that my program in causing this problem and my question is that : is there any way to reboot this remote cRIO without doing it manually? I tried to use the "RT Restart (IP).vi" but I always get error 56 (time out) TCP Open Connection.

The cRIO is connected to an ethernet switch and has a static IP address. Is it possible to regain control if I restart the switch or doing this will make the situation worse ? (this was just a thought).

Thanks in advance for your answers.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,516 Views)

Hi Vakpo,

I am afraid to say you may be out of luck. One thing you may want to try is to add the controller in MAX using the IP address. If you right click Remote Systems, click Create New>>Remote Device and enter the IP address. If this does not work, you will have to manually reboot the controller.

One suggestion for the future is to implement a watchdog that will automatically reboot the controller

Here is some more information on setting up the watchdog:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/6546#toc2

Hope this helps.

FLash

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,492 Views)

Any chance you can power cycle the cRIO?

Sebastian

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,483 Views)

Hi speleato,

No, I can't. It is a stand alone application and the power supply must be shut down manually. Thanks for the suggestion anyway. Thanks also to A_Patel for the watchdog idea. This will be necessary in the future.

Now, as I have nothing to lose, I will try to disconnect it from the ethernet switch and reconnect it again. I will let you know if it works. 

Vakpo

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,479 Views)