LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relay and DAQ for switching a DC Motor

Hello..we wish to use SPDT relay with NI USB-6008 DAQ card for switching on/off a DC motor. The DC motor has a voltage rating of 122V and current rating of 10A and it is used to pump water. The SPDT relay we have has voltage and current ratings of 12V and 6A respectively. Can this relay be used to directly control the motor, if the relay is energized from the DAQ? Do we need to connect any other component in order to use this relay?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(3,382 Views)

You'll need a couple of relays.  You'll need a motor contactor that has a voltage and current rating on the contacts that work for the motor.  Many of these contactors have a 24V coil that.

You will need a 24V power supply.  Now you need something between the USB-6008 and the 24V contactor.  This might be another relay.  Or perhaps a transistor driver that can take the 5V DC output from the USB=6008 that will control the 24 V DC coil.  A USB-6008 doesn't have enough current capacity (or the voltage) to drive a motor contactor coil directly.

I'd recommend talking to someone familiar with electrical control circuits about your specific requirements.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(3,378 Views)

You can use the DAQ board to remotely operate the power supply.  Most power supplies have a remote programming terminal where you can supply a control voltage (typically 0-5VDC or 0-10VDC) with 5V or 10V equaling full output of the supply.  No relay or driver circuit is required for this.

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(3,373 Views)

Except he didn't say he had a power supply that was capable of 10A @ 120V.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(3,370 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

@Except he didn't say he had a power supply that was capable of 10A @ 120V.

Thank you Mr. Obvious.  Smiley Wink

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(3,367 Views)

Sorry Raven.  I mean no disrespect.  But there has to be something supplying power to the motor.  If it is a power supply, my suggestion might work.  If not, so be it.  I don't know the whole situation so i can only offer suggestions and let the OP decide.

aputman
------------------
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(3,362 Views)

The motor is being powered by rectified power supply of 100V.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(3,356 Views)

True.  Usually when I hear of 120V, I'm thinking of AC power  that is just directly powered from the lines and you need a basic contactor to connect and disconnect the motor.  For DC motors, there has to be some source of DC power, and whether that is some source of power such as a DC voltage bus within a plant, or a dedicated power supply converting 120 VAC to 120 VDC specifically for that motor, we just don't know.

Either way, we need more details from the original poster, and can agree that a 12V 6A relay is not going to be usable as is.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(3,352 Views)

If we're to use a contactor with relay, what should be its rating and specifications?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(3,351 Views)

Does it mean we cannot use contactors for switching a dc motor? Also this is an institutional level project for building a water pumping system.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(3,348 Views)