LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resetting Vi

Solved!
Go to solution

I see other threads that deal with resetting VI problems but none that appear to have the answer that sorts my specific problem. 

I have a program that started with the read/write basic serial example. I then modified the example to only a read function, as the serial device connected uses asynchronous string, instead of ask and get commands. Then program sorts and matches string components to display the data appropriately to the user. This program is simple and works well on one of my staff's computer using Window 7 Enterprise (dell latitude) but the same program run on the second staffs PC (Lenova ThinkPad) with window 7 enterprise seems to either crash or lock up. The same program on each but the Thinkpad always locks up showing a resetting vi box, and is causing the PC to lock up and they need to use task manager to force it closed. The only difference I can see is the serial port converter (pig tail). One PC uses one type the other a second type. 

conversely, I removed the stop (abort) function on the application and programmed the Vi to finish a cycle before closing the program, but even that did not fix the problem. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. 

Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,940 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author pistonbones

Did you try switching the USB to Serial adapters?  I have had HORRIBLE luck with USB to RS-232 adapters.  I don't trust them as far as I can throw them.  But if you find a set that works consistantly, stick with those.

The other possibility related to the USB would be the "power saving feature" that Window 7 has where it will turn off a USB hub's power.  You can disable that through the device manager.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 5
(4,931 Views)

@pistonbones wrote:

I see other threads that deal with resetting VI problems but none that appear to have the answer that sorts my specific problem. 

I have a program that started with the read/write basic serial example. I then modified the example to only a read function, as the serial device connected uses asynchronous string, instead of ask and get commands. Then program sorts and matches string components to display the data appropriately to the user. This program is simple and works well on one of my staff's computer using Window 7 Enterprise (dell latitude) but the same program run on the second staffs PC (Lenova ThinkPad) with window 7 enterprise seems to either crash or lock up. The same program on each but the Thinkpad always locks up showing a resetting vi box, and is causing the PC to lock up and they need to use task manager to force it closed. The only difference I can see is the serial port converter (pig tail). One PC uses one type the other a second type. 

conversely, I removed the stop (abort) function on the application and programmed the Vi to finish a cycle before closing the program, but even that did not fix the problem. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. 

Smiley Sad

USB-serial converter cables use different chipsets.

I ran into this issue this week. One cable seemed to work when using TeraTerm but would fail when LabVIEW was being used.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,895 Views)

Can you post some code?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,884 Views)

The file is attached.

It appears to have been the driver for the USB to Serial converter.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,830 Views)