LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resolution in Ubuntu 8.10

Hello

I have just installed Labview 8.6 in Ubuntu 8.10. I have some problems with the resolution.

I run 1440x900 in Vista and there the text is flawless. The text in linux is almost impossible to read.

I have tried to lower my screen resolution, but this doesn't help. The

text just gets smaller and even harder to read. Is there some way to get the resolution in Linux to become as good as in Vista. 

I guess the reason I don't wanna use Windows is self-explaining...

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,210 Views)

Hi cFPn00b,

do you have this problem only with LabVIEW or with Ubuntu?

You can change some settings in the LabVIEW.ini (can be another file in Ubuntu).

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,197 Views)

Hi!

I've experienced similar problems on Kubuntu installing 8.6.1. There seems to some bug with the way LabVIEW handles fonts. I believe Ubuntu will try to use Helvetica as System, Application and Dialog font. Helevetica is however not installed (even if it shows in the font list), and I'm not clear of what is used instead. As a workaround you might want to fiddle around with the System, Application and Dialog gonts under Tools->Options->Fonts, using a non-default font that looks ok. Please tell me if you find out how tosolve your problem in a "proper" way as it might get me on the right track as well.

Best regards

//Martin

CLA
www.dvel.se
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,187 Views)

LabVIEW uses a set of default fonts for the three "basic types" Application, System and Dialog. These fonts depend on the OS for which your LabVIEW version is made for (Windows/Linux/Mac).

Since Ubuntu is not a supported version of Linux, i asume that LabVIEW uses a basic set of fonts, which might not be available on the system.

Therefore i suggest to do what Martin already wrote: Choose different fonts for the three basic fontsets and try if it works ok then.

hope this helps,

Norbert 

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,178 Views)

Your best bet is to install the msttcorefonts package present in the Ubuntu repos. The command sudo apt-get msttcorefonts will do the trick. Additionally, install the Tahoma fonts from your Windows partition or Google the same. After downloading the fonts, use the following link to register the fonts using defoma:-

http://www.howtoforge.com/sharp_fonts_gnome

Log off, and login after doing this. Select subpixel rendering by doing a right click on the desktop, Change Desktop Background -> Fonts -> Subpixel Smoothing. Set the fonts to Tahoma, and set the DPI as 96 (by clicking on Details).

Now start LV and select the Tahoma font by clicking on options. Do the same for Application, System and Dialog Fonts...restart LV and you should see *much much* better fonts. Let me know if you encounter any problems 🙂 Attached is a screenshot of LV on my Mandriva 2009.0 desktop, I get the same effect on Ubuntu, Opensuse, Fedora,Mint...etc etc

-Anshul

Message Edited by anshuljain on 05-03-2009 09:21 PM
Message Edited by anshuljain on 05-03-2009 09:23 PM
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,075 Views)