LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right approach to cRIO

Hi,

I am new to using NI LabVIEW and CompactRIO.

I plan to use them (LV 8.6 and cRIO 9074) in a test process control application (indiustrial equipment testing).

I have been thru different manuals on using the cRIO and FPGA. I have also seen some
examples on this topic.

Based on this study, this is what I believe I have to do in LV and cRIO:

1) Create VIs using LV FPGA module to read and write data from the C-series I/O cards. Through shared variables, send the data to the VI on the cRIO RT controller.

2) VIs on RT controller will scale the recieved data to engineering units and send them to a host computer thru shared variables.

3) The RT controller will have VIs that will have the actual process control logic. All the code concerning the I/Os will be present on the FPGA.

4) The host computer will have VIs that will function as a HMI only(issue commands, display values and feedbacks)

What I would like to know, is this approach correct?

What else do I need to look out for?

Thanks in advance,

Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,385 Views)

The 1st point: You don't use shared variables to send data from FPGA to RT. You do that using the read/write controls or DMA transfers.

Otherwise, you are good on everything else. The only think I would suggest is to think properly about the architecture before you implement it. The examples in Example Finder should help you figure everything out. If you have any questions during development, be sure to post back.

Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,376 Views)

Hi,

In my application, I am using the cRIO 9074 along with the expansion chassis, NI 9144.

I am able to configure the I/O cards on the local chassis, when no hardware is connected (offline).But I am unable to configure the expansion chassis.

Is it possible to configure the expansion chassis offline? Or do I need the hardware,
connect it and detect the chassis. Then configure the cards in the expansion chassis.

Thanks & Regards.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,335 Views)