LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run Mode (ctrl+m) - why not operable in case of errors?

Solved!
Go to solution

I always wondered the reason behind this behavior.I google-d for a while, but nothing relevant came up so far...

I often use the run mode when I want to review the "looking" of my front panel, like the changes caused by custom Window settings, and some other visibility checks of the different objects on the front panel.

However, when I work on a VI, it is still often in a non-runable state. Still, I want to see how the FP looks like using the ctrl+m. Since the VI has a broken run arrow, the ctrl+m will just open the error list dialog.

Questions:

1. What is the real usage of the "run mode"? I exclusively use it for the above explained "style" check.
  2. Is there a workaround? How can I see a non runable VI FP in run mode?
Message 1 of 8
(5,389 Views)

While I don't know the answer for sure, I can make a guess.

In ctrl-m mode, a part of the vi code is actually running: for example, if a button changes its text when pressed, you can see the alternative text to appear. It's possible that the running part - even if a subset of the code only concerning the user interaction - cannot run if the vi is not correctly compiled.

Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,370 Views)

I usually just end up disabling parts of the code that are broken.  That being said if this were an idea on the idea exchange I'd vote for it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,336 Views)

wrote:

That being said if this were an idea on the idea exchange I'd vote for it.

+1

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,332 Views)

Sad news: https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Change-to-run-mode-while-broken-execution-OR-preview-...

Declined, due to low number of votes 😞

Can I "resurrect" an idea, or is it not possible? 🙂

edit:

I guess a quick drop plugin could do a "put a disable structure around the whole BD", then remove it...In this way we would have a quick way to set a VI FP into run mode, even if it is not runnable...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,323 Views)

Just post a new idea, it might get traction where it didn't before.  This thread alone will add visibility to it.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,311 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Blokk

Official reply, and explanation why it is not implemented:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Preview-FP-option-for-non-runable-VIs/idc-p/3756581/h...

If someone makes a quickdrop plugin (see idea above) using a Diagram disable structure, please post the link here! 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,172 Views)