LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP Send vi never get invalid recipients error 56 instead

I'm sending an email message to a list of emails.  If I send in an invalid email like NotAnEmail@nothing.com the send.vi does not output it as an invalid recipient but does output an error 56 instead.  Is this the expected behavior for this vi? 

SoftWEng_0-1622233491627.png

Since this vi is in a for loop and I have the code in the no error case it only sends the email to the recipients in the the to list before the email that causes the error but the invalid recipients still show up in the to list to the valid recipients so there is no easy way to know who received the email and who didn't without probing the vi to monitor when the error occured.  Why are the emails that are not real showing up in the to:?  Is there a way to fix this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(723 Views)

I haven’t looked at these VIs for a long time. The RFC for the SMTP protocol was written at a time when the Internet was still mostly a friendly bunch of nerds. In the meantime it is a wild west with some terroristic activities and I would not want my email servers to make it super easy for spammers to verify their spam email lists so it makes a lot of sense to disable the command to verify email addresses! And once disabled you receive simply no response and that results in a timeout error. 

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(657 Views)