Save report VI from report generation toolkit is broken

Solved!
Go to solution

Mass compile worked for me as a fix.

Problem just appeared with these software versions:

LV2014 

Office 265 ProPlus build 1710 

Thanks

Sr Test Engineer at American Innovations - LabVIEW CLA - Kudo's are appreciated!!
0 Kudos
Message 31 of 51
(1,947 Views)

Hello all,

I have the same problem as well.

I don`t really know what to do now. I fixed the VIs in my system and it seems to work fine.

I am building .exe files from my VIs and run the .exe on a different computer, but it crashes all the time.

The office versions seem to be the same

My system: Version 1705 (Build 8201.2213)

Target Computer: Version 1705 (Build 8201.2200)

I tried a Mass Compile as well, but it didn`t work.

Will LabView 2017 solve this issue? What can I do to make it run?

Best regards

TDO

0 Kudos
Message 32 of 51
(1,898 Views)

Hi TDO,

The original problem in this post was Report Generation Toolkit VI's going broken after a MS Office update.. Is that the same problem you are having?

A LabVIEW application crashing is possibly/likely a different issue.  If your problem is different from original problem I suggest starting a new thread and describe problem completely so it gets more attention. regards

Sr Test Engineer at American Innovations - LabVIEW CLA - Kudo's are appreciated!!
0 Kudos
Message 33 of 51
(1,895 Views)

Hi mwatkins,

I implemented the application on my old PC with Office 2010.

I got a new PC with Office 365. When I opened the VI it was broken with the same error discription mentioned here.

I changed the VIs so I see the WorkIdentify entry on the method node.

The target PC had the Office 2010 version and suddenly it crashed, when I copied my new application to it. So I installed Office 365 on the target PC as well and still have issues.

The error is:

Code: -2146777998

Source: NI_ReportGenerationToolkit.lvlib:ex_RGT_Append Anything To Report.vi -> NI_ReportGenerationToolkit:lvlib:subMS Office Report Block.vi -> MYVI.vi:MS Office Report.vi

I have an Office Template File, with  Name-Fields and fill these fields via MS Office Report.vi and this crashes on my target PC.

0 Kudos
Message 34 of 51
(1,891 Views)

Hi TDO,

If it's excel then check this thread:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Excel-error-2146777998/m-p/2220810

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Excel-error-2146777998/m-p/3662078

- check device manager and see if Excel.exe is still running, force close then run your application

- is it possible that a Reference is not getting closed properly?

0 Kudos
Message 35 of 51
(1,889 Views)

Hi,

so, we solved our issue.

We haven`t activated Office yet. We installed it and our IT said we can use it 10 days without activating, because they needed some new licences. They got a new licence and we activated office yesterday and it seems, that this solved the problem.

Since the activation all is working fine.

Thanks for your help

Best regards

0 Kudos
Message 36 of 51
(1,871 Views)

If you still have issues with this I found a way to download old versions as needed. This is with the Office Deployment Tool. There are details for use at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/DeployOffice/overview-of-the-office-2016-deployment-tool?redirectSo... and my config file which I think should download the last working version is:

<Configuration>
<Add OfficeClientEdition="32" Channel="Monthly" Version="16.0.7341.2035">
<Product ID="O365ProPlusRetail">
<Language ID="en-us" />
</Product>
</Add>
<Updates Enabled="FALSE" Channel="Monthly" />
<!-- <Display Level="None" AcceptEULA="TRUE" /> -->
<!-- <Property Name="AUTOACTIVATE" Value="1" /> -->
</Configuration>
James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
0 Kudos
Message 37 of 51
(1,672 Views)

Microsoft recently increased the number of licenses that can be utilized with the subscription model of Office 365.  So we were able to update the MS Office version on all of our testing laptops as well as our development laptops (to Excel build 1808). Based on our initial testing, we are able to properly create Excel reports from an executable without any issues.  This was tested in LabVIEW 2015.

Maybe a simple Office/Excel upgrade could be an easy solution for others as well.

0 Kudos
Message 38 of 51
(1,665 Views)

Yeah I should be clear, I'm only taking this step as right now we have legacy systems where office has not been updated so we are using the old office on the new system.

Much simpler is just to upgrade everywhere! (And this is an option we are exploring with the customer)

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
0 Kudos
Message 39 of 51
(1,655 Views)

Good to note James.  I had a feeling my situation didn't exactly apply to the solution that you provided.  However, your post reminded me of this thread and I felt like I should add that information since that late 2018 change effectively resolved this issue for us.

Previously we were unable to perform an upgrade because we couldn't use a subscription version of Office on our test laptops.  Our IT method of naming all of our test laptops with a common user didn't work well with the limitation on the number of users for an Office365 license.  This might be unique to my company, but I know that I am glad to put this issue behind me (knocks on wood).

0 Kudos
Message 40 of 51
(1,651 Views)