LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving a project and brake dependencies

As a novice user I have created several projects that are working fine. One project allows me to control several power supplies (Keysight N6702C MPS) take readings and record them. It also does several loops to pull readings from different voltage levels and different power supplies. It then displays a pass fail on screen so operators know that the part can move onto more testing or completion. It does this by opening a spreadsheet template reading several lines and using those values to turn on individual power supplies and sets voltages, this also tells it what lines to record the data on and how many reading to take over a set period of time. It then puts that data into the template file and renames it and saves it as a different file name in a new location "output data". My problem is that it works for several different testing applications, but every time I'm asked to us it on a different application, there is sometimes small and often large changes wanted to UI, Pass/Fail notification, voltage sweeps instead of single voltage, Storage locations of data and templates. You probably already see where I'm heading with this. A lot of these changes, make small changes to the VI's I've created and the VI's used for the power supplies. 

I need to be able to save each individual project and not affect the VI's in all the other projects. My knowledge gap in LabVIEW allowed me to inadvertently copy dependencies over to all the other projects I built with that original project. 

This is probably something simple that my lack of LabVIEW knowledge just isn't letting me grasp. Please help and thank you in advance. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(140 Views)

Hi Novice,

@NoviceLVuser wrote:

A lot of these changes, make small changes to the VI's I've created and the VI's used for the power supplies. 

I need to be able to save each individual project and not affect the VI's in all the other projects. My knowledge gap in LabVIEW allowed me to inadvertently copy dependencies over to all the other projects I built with that original project. 

• There should only be changes to your UI and maybe to the statemachine behind it.
  • There should be NO changes to the underlying driver VIs, like for your PSUs!
  • You should NOT copy dependencies, but place them in a "re-use" library. I recommend to put driver VIs into lvlibs to even manage their API by categorizing into public and private VIs…

We cannot help you much more when all we get is an image of a UI…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 3
(97 Views)

Thank you for your help and time. I've attached the project. As you might have guessed I didn't even know about "re-use" library's and public and private VI's. I've also attached the excel sheet that the LV program pulls to set voltage and channels on/off. I used ones and zeros for on/off and pass/fail. I'm sure the program is very elaborate for what it is, but when you have a knowledge gap it's not easy to simplify the process. Thank you again for your time.

To answer the biggest question, it does work. It allows for several test to be ran with a simple drop-down selection and change of wire harness. 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(61 Views)