LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving floating point images

I currently use averaging to get a noise mitigated image in single precision. I do all calculations with the data in array format but I would like to save the averaged images in floating point for posterity's sake. I have noticed that I can display the images of datatype Grayscale (SGL) no problem but have found no way to save the image without rounding the data into integer format. I think i'm out of luck but I wanted to see if anyone knew of another way.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,052 Views)

You can save it as a byte stream : convert to a 2D-array (SGL) then save. Of course reading the image will requires the reverse operations.

19885iC36F9E2CBC417DE8

Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,042 Views)

Whoops, I forgot to mention a key detail in that the images would need to be viewed by users without LabVIEW.

When wonky stuff is observed we use ImageJ for image manipulation.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,035 Views)

MikeBoso a écrit :

Whoops, I forgot to mention a key detail in that the images would need to be viewed by users without LabVIEW.

When wonky stuff is observed we use ImageJ for image manipulation.

That was indeed a key detail. Have you had a look at the TIFF format. I know that TIFF can handle FP images, but I don't know if there are the corresponding readers (Photoshop ?). Of course, you'll have to develop your own file saver, since IMAQ vision TIFF file save is restricted to integers.

Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,021 Views)

I know that the image application I referenced earlier will open FP tiff files is why I was hoping there was some hidden way to coax IMAQ to save that way. In the immediate future, my boss doesn't want me to spend any time writing something "elaborate" as we won't need the source images (I'm sure we will and so I will eventually do it on my own time).

Thanks for your comments Charley. I think I mostly wanted someone to say "can't be done, have to format the image information manually"

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,016 Views)

I think the easiest solution would be to write an interface to the libTIFF library (www.libtiff.org).  I've used that to read and write 2D and 3D U8, U16 and RGB TIFF files, and FP looks to be just as easy.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,010 Views)