LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial Communication with MKS 647B

Hello All,

I am attempting to control a MKS 647B Multi Channel Flow & Pressure Controller using LabView but I've run into some issues that seem to stem from the RS232 communication. The manual for the 647c indicates all commands should translate to the 647b instrument so I have been using the drivers available online for that instrument. In terms of cables, I've been using a null modem cable with no handshake (pg. 28 of the manual). Though I am able to configure the serial port it seems I am unable to communicate with instrument, which fails to initialize even in the simple vi shown below.

controllerTest.PNG

I've attempted to communicate with the instrument directly through some terminal programs (specifically HTerm and Termite) with no luck, though I'm unsure if that is a result of equipment failure or my inexperience with serial communication. I was hoping someone with more experience with serial connections might be able to point me in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(735 Views)

start with NI VISA interactive control. Setup the serial port in your  computer according to the manual, and use the commands from the BASIC example program to start with, before you try on LABVIEW. 

Make sure that the cable you are using follows the specification and use the interactive tool to manually send/receive commands from the instrument. What RS-232 interface are you using in your computer ? 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(577 Views)