LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial write takes unexpectedly long when more than 7 bytes are written

Thanks for your valuable comments.

Considering your posts, a possible workaround occured to me.
As you see from my first post, execution time does not linearly increase with the number of bytes. It grows exponentially rather. How about writing two blocks of data as four and five bytes sequentially. Do you think that I can achieve better execution time?
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(858 Views)

When I drop a VISA Write onto the diagram, by default it is set for Asynchronous mode.

Are you saying I should be changing those all over to Synchronous?  If so, why isn't that the default for VISA Write?

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(857 Views)

Don't know for sure but my guess (from the KB) is that you're trading a small amount of call overhead in exchange for freeing up one of the execution threads. So I'd say no, most of the time async is probably the better overall option. On the other hand I could swear I read somewhere that those options behave differently on RT, but I can't find that anymore.

Also I'd imagine you would see different behavior in a timed loop. Obviously if synchronous locks the thread then its probably putting that timed loop to sleep until the write completes, while async mode sounds like it would be causing you to swap back and forth between standard labview threads and the timed loop, repeatedly, until the write completes. ^^this is all conjecture, I don't know for sure.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(852 Views)

@gorkem.secer wrote:

As you see from my first post, execution time does not linearly increase with the number of bytes. It grows exponentially rather. How about writing two blocks of data as four and five bytes sequentially. Do you think that I can achieve better execution time?

I may have missed this, but what is your desired rate? Based on the image you are still well within your budget. Is that not sufficient?

Edit: Oh I see, 20 kHz. Thats not a ton of headroom then. Out of curiousity what are you doing that has these requirements? Seems like an awful high rate for sending out a few bytes of data, maybe there is a better technology for what you want to accomplish?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(845 Views)

@smithd wrote:

@gorkem.secer wrote:

I may have missed this, but what is your desired rate? Based on the image you are still well within your budget. Is that not sufficient?

Edit: Oh I see, 20 kHz. Thats not a ton of headroom then. Out of curiousity what are you doing that has these requirements? Seems like an awful high rate for sending out a few bytes of data, maybe there is a better technology for what you want to accomplish?

I'm communicating with a custom servo torque controller.

The torque controller on the board runs at 40 kHz and my controller loops on the PXI side run at 20 kHz and sends torque commands to the driver at this rate.

I might consider decreasing my sampling rate but that's the last solution I want to go for.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(822 Views)

I know this is old but there wasn't a solution posted so I will add mine.

I recently ran into this problem while running at 1000000 baud. Any time I would send more than 7 characters/bytes it would fail to send and only send 1 byte. I think this is a limitation in Labview VISA driver when using non-standard baud rates higher than the standard ones. To resolve this I just broke down the string into 7 byte chunks and sent that way. I had to add a small delay between the chunks also. This sub-VI works for me and I am able to send whatever I want now at 1 million baud. 

Message 16 of 17
(230 Views)

Hi Jsaindon,

Thanks a lot for sharing!

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(224 Views)