LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Keys Disabled DSC

I need to disable the windows XP key.  There has been much talk on here about going into the registry and changing things.  I do not want to do this.  I bought the DSC module for this purpose.  I have installed the optional keyboard filter that comes with the DSC module.  When I add a user to the Advanced Keyboard option in the Security menu under Options it will let me add the user, but the check box (Special keys disabled) gets unchecked after I close out the menu.  And my windows key still works when I am running a VI. Maybe I'm missing a step.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 28
(3,384 Views)
I am using 8.6.1 for both LV and DSC.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 28
(3,373 Views)
What do you mean by the "Windows XP" key?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 28
(3,353 Views)

Ravens Fan wrote:

I think it that key between the "ctrl" and the "alt" key that brings up the Windows Start menu.

Ben

Message Edited by Ben on 04-28-2010 02:06 PM
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 28
(3,351 Views)
yes, sorry the "windows" key.  I guess I was trying to say that I am using XP.  
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 28
(3,344 Views)

Share a screenshot or offer a link to let us know what you are working with. At one time I was the top contributor to the DSC forum but have fallen away recently. So if you give us a little more of a hint as to what you are using (is that under a drop down is is that a stand-alone app from NI?) we may be able to help.

Otherwise that reply about the Windows key was all i can offer to this thread.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 28
(3,336 Views)

ok here are some screen shots.  It is a drop down menu under Tools in a project, and then Options.  Once Options has been selected, then select Security.

Here there is a check box "Special Keys Disabled".  According to the help, you are suppose to check this box and add a user.  This will disable certain windows keys. 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 28
(3,331 Views)

Ben wrote:

Ravens Fan wrote:

I think it that key between the "ctrl" and the "alt" key that brings up the Windows Start menu.

Ben

Okay, that makes more sense.  That key has been around since at least Win95.  Talking about an XP key made me think it had something else to do with the Windows registry.

I use the DSC module.  But I don't understand the question and what that windows key has to do with security options in the DSC module.

Are you saying you don't want that key to do anything?  And if so, why not?

Honestly, as long as that key has been on the keyboard, I have never found a real use for it. (or that other windows key that got added)  Very rarely I hit it by accident which annoys me, but most of the time I can avoid it and ignore it.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 28
(3,330 Views)

Ravens Fan wrote:

Ben wrote:

Ravens Fan wrote:

Ben

Okay, that makes more sense.  That key has been around since at least Win95.  Talking about an XP key made me think it had something else to do with the Windows registry.

I use the DSC module.  But I don't understand the question and what that windows key has to do with security options in the DSC module.

Are you saying you don't want that key to do anything?  And if so, why not?

Honestly, as long as that key has been on the keyboard, I have never found a real use for it. (or that other windows key that got added)  Very rarely I hit it by accident which annoys me, but most of the time I can avoid it and ignore it.

It is useful if you are using a PC that has everything locked-down so the operator can only use the app and not bring up browsers or the like.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 28
(3,326 Views)
I want to disable the Windows key for security reasons.  I don't want it to do anything.  Exactly what Ben said.
Message Edited by shoemakesmusic on 04-28-2010 02:54 PM
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 28
(3,323 Views)