LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structure Label Annoyance (aka Bug in my book)

I noticed the following irritating annoyance (irritating at least until I nailed down its cause):

Try to connect a wire through a structure border that is covered by a label.

It will work if the wire comes from above the label, but fail if the wire comes through the side of the label (see snapshot below for an illustration):

ScreenHunter_005.jpg

In the latter case, the wire will snap to the corner.

Since there is no such limitation when a label is absent and nothing changes when adding the label afterwards, I would say that this is a bug, be it of minor impact.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,268 Views)

Hello X,

Thanks for posting at NI forums! I would suggest you to post this in the NI Idea Exchange for the next LabVIEW revision.

Best Regards,

Alina M

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,240 Views)

The problem seems to be that you cannot click to change direction of the wire while the cursor is on the label. You eneter the label moving to the right, click and move the mouse down. The wire does not get anchored to the spot of the click - the whole segment moves down.

Even worse, do this on a labeled for loop. The wire appears to enter at the N terminal (slightly off center). It is NOT connected to N, you cannot see the tunnel, and you cannot grab the tunnel or move it with arrow keys.  You can drag a selection rectangle across the area and delete it.

In my opinion, this moves it into the category of Bug.  When wiring does not do what the programmer tries to do and creates a connection which cannot be seen or manipulated, it is a bug.  I am with you on this one, X.

Lynn 

For loop.png

Message 3 of 13
(3,229 Views)

@ Alina M: Since when are we supposed to suggest bug fixes in the Idea Exchange? You guys need to get on the same page. I have been told to post bugs here, there and everywhere, when the fundamental problem is that there is no good bug report handling by NI.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(3,208 Views)

Hello X and johnsold,

Thanks for your replies. I apologize if I was not clear on my answer. I did take this behavior to our experts and they said this is not categorized as a bug since it is an expected behavior. It is ideal to avoid wires hidden by the label in the structure. This is the reason why I recommended posting it at the NI Idea Exchange. The behavior described by johnsold sounds more ‘’buggy’’ due to the fact that it cannot be manipulated. I will take again both issues to the experts and let you know. Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Alina M

Message 5 of 13
(3,173 Views)

Read my post again. There is no logic in allowing a final outcome obtained one way but preventing it another way. I can connect a wire to a structure through a label if I come from ABOVE the label or if I display the label AFTER I connected the wire... but it is INTENDED that I cannot connect it passing through the SIDE of a label?

I haven't got any CS degree or even formal LV training for that matter, but you are going to have a hard time convincing me that this INTENDED behavior is logical.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,164 Views)

@X. wrote:

Read my post again. There is no logic in allowing a final outcome obtained one way but preventing it another way. I can connect a wire to a structure through a label if I come from ABOVE the label or if I display the label AFTER I connected the wire... but it is INTENDED that I cannot connect it passing through the SIDE of a label?

I haven't got any CS degree or even formal LV training for that matter, but you are going to have a hard time convincing me that this INTENDED behavior is logical.

I agree it's a kind of weak explanation.  Of course it's not a good idea to make a connection through a label, but if the consquences of doing so are so confusing, maybe it's best to NOT ALLOW that behavior in the the first place.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(3,153 Views)

I just smacked my head when I saw that you wanted to wire underneath a structure label, make a right turn underneath said label, and then wire through the selector label. One last facepalm.

Message 8 of 13
(3,148 Views)

I just stumbled about this problem by chance and did not purposedly wire through a label. I am just much less a... about these kind of things than many, it would seem.

But personally, I don't see what the problem is with hidden wires. In fact, I'd loved to be able to hide more of them (see some of my recent posts in other threads)!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(3,128 Views)

I believe it was your posts in other threads that made it quite easy for me to imagine you carefully wiring in such a way as to pass under and through as many labels as possible...  Smiley Tongue

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(3,122 Views)