LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tektronix DataPlugin extremely slow

Solved!
Go to solution

I've installed Tektronix_TDS5000 DataPlugin from this URL and reading Tektronix *.wfm files via Storage/DataPligin LabVIEW VIs. It take a very very long time, over two minutes, to read a single 25 million point waveform  from WFM file this way. I understand it's  stored in 8-bit raw binary format and should take no time at all. By comparison, it takes 1 second to load the same waveform after it was converted to TDMS file with 64-bit double-precision, 8 times as big, format. 

Is there a way to accelerate *.WFM input to acceptable rates?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 21
(4,502 Views)

is that really how long it takes?

If so there is a huge problem with how Tektronix stores and transfers the data. How are you interfacing with the tectonics device? Is it GPIB Ethernet USB serial?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 21
(4,474 Views)

Out of curiousity, how long did the conversion to TDMS take?  I would expect that time to be about how long it takes the data plugin to work (since a data plugin is basically doing the conversion to TDMS-like format).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 21
(4,464 Views)

The *.WFM file is carried over from Tektronix oscilloscope to SSD  on PC with LabVIEW using a flash drive. The file is only ~ 10 megabytes for 10 million samples

I believe the file is just an array of I8 or U8 with some scalar scaling etc. metadata attached, so it should not take long to load. 

I can see that "Convert to TDM or TDMS.vi" from Storage\DataPlugin palette spends 99% of time inside "_openStorageWithRootAutoDetect.vi".

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 21
(4,463 Views)

Here's few top lines from profiler, looks like it gets stuck in "_openDataStorage.vi":

Converttotdms.png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 21
(4,412 Views)

Here's few top lines from the profiler:

Converttotdms.png

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 21
(4,442 Views)

Hello Fedor,

Can you please post your wfm file so that we can have a closer look? Thanks.

Best Regards,

Mavis

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 21
(4,425 Views)

Yes!  You, have a problem with the "...Storage data plug-in".......

Just a question here,  What has the TEK AE suggested?  ( They, TEK AE's are not usually incompetent)

I know that sounds " a bit cold-hearted" but, it sounds like a TEK solution, rather than an NI one would be in order!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 21
(4,425 Views)

Here's a zipped  *.wfm attached.

How does one get in touch with TEK AE about this problem?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 21
(4,391 Views)

I figured that it will taka many days to debug that faulty data plugin, so I wrote my own simplistic WFM reader, attached. It produces results identical to Tek  DataPluging in fraction of time.

Message 10 of 21
(4,364 Views)