LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temperature control - what type of PID controller to use?

Hello friends,

Im trying to make a VI program in which i could control temperature using the PID controller. I want to control temperature by choosing the PID gains by myself, and also with possibility of auto-tuning. 

In LabView there is a lot of types of PID controller and i have a problem which should i use to control temperature? Is the PID Autotuning (temperature).vi is the right function to use?

Thanks for any answers.

pid types.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,117 Views)

Hi Milos,

@MilosZZZ wrote:

Im trying to make a VI program in which i could control temperature using the PID controller. I want to control temperature by choosing the PID gains by myself, and also with possibility of auto-tuning. 

In LabView there is a lot of types of PID controller and i have a problem which should i use to control temperature? Is the PID Autotuning (temperature).vi is the right function to use?

I never used those Autotune options, but determined PID gains by myself so I recommend to use the PIDAdvanced…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 4
(1,094 Views)

I have only done this once and use the regular "PID.vi" and tuned it by hand. There is a cluster you can bring out to adjust the gain, integral time, and derivative time.

I have never had good luck with auto-tuning a PID. Even our expensive Thermotron thermal chambers auto-tune is basically worthless. I have spent days at a time following their auto-tune procedure. But it still ends up dramatically over shooting the set-point, when transitioning from cold to hot.

A few hours hand tuning and it will go from -40C to +120C with  <5 degrees over shoot. The best their auto-tune could do was about 20 degrees.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 3 of 4
(1,073 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

I have only done this once and use the regular "PID.vi" and tuned it by hand. There is a cluster you can bring out to adjust the gain, integral time, and derivative time.

I have never had good luck with auto-tuning a PID. Even our expensive Thermotron thermal chambers auto-tune is basically worthless. I have spent days at a time following their auto-tune procedure. But it still ends up dramatically over shooting the set-point, when transitioning from cold to hot.

A few hours hand tuning and it will go from -40C to +120C with  <5 degrees over shoot. The best their auto-tune could do was about 20 degrees.

Is that analogous to the LabVIEW BD Cleanup tool?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 4 of 4
(1,040 Views)