LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestStand 4.1 Deploy tool asks for LabVIEW 8.6.1 disk

I've read and followed various postings concerning deploy issues where it's asking for a LabVIEW disk.  Still having the issue.

I used to have LabVIEW 8.6.1 installed on my PC.  Sequences and VIs were created using this version.

BUT, now need to create a deployment with LabVIEW 8.6.  Uninstalled 8.6.1, installed 8.6.  Did a mass compile of all my VIs as well as everything under Documents and Settings and under Program Files/TestStand with 8.6.

Made sure my adapter is set to 8.6 for LabVIEW.

Added TestExec.ini to my workspace for deployment.

Made sure anything related to 8.6.1 is unchecked in the deployment tool for Engine Options and Drivers and Components under the Installer Options tab.

If I create an installer with "Install TestStand Engine" checked, then I get the popup about inserting the 8.6.1 LabVIEW CD.  If I have that option unchecked, then it does NOT popup for 8.6.1.

I am keeping all the default options checked under the Engine Options except for uncommenting 8.6.1.

I went through every option under Drivers and Components and made sure none of them are checked that require 8.6.1 (e.g., NI DataSocket or NI LabVIEW Web Server).

Obviously there is something in my system that is still pointing to 8.6.1 and the deployment tool is picking up on that -- even though 8.6.1 is no longer installed.

Anyone have any hints on how to find what is making the deployment tool look for 8.6.1?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,620 Views)

Hi Barry,

There isn't anything wrong with your deployment configuration, and don't worry - you aren't pulling in any LV 8.6.1 specific technology. The reason is that NI software is modular, and is composed of many common components which can be shared across many different NI products and versions. What has happened is that when you installed LV 8.6.1, you upgraded one or more of these common system components that happens to be used by all LabVIEW versions, and perhaps other seemingly unrelated products (DAQmx, a toolkit, TestStand, etc). When you uninstalled LV 8.6.1, the uninstaller intentionally left behind this component, as it was still being used by other NI software installed on the system. 

Putting all of this together, when you build a deployment and include the TestStand engine, it is needing the installer files for a component that you currently have installed in your system, and the only source for it appears to be the LV 8.6.1 distribution.  This could seem misleading, but this is how it is supposed to work, and what allows the target computer to have the exact same versions of the complete software stack that is on your development machine.

Please see the following KB and thread for more information:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/C3666BA408F81E59862570D20056E692?OpenDocument

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabWindows-CVI/extra-distributions-required-for-installer/m-p/823608

Regards,

- Wes / NI

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,584 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  Since I no longer have 8.6.1 disks -- they were purchases for a specific project for a specific customer who now has those disks -- my only opion appears to be to uninstall everything NI and then reinstall with my current versions (TestStand 4.1 and LabVIEW 8.6).  Or is there a way to know which of the several dozen components that show up in the list to remove (from Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs) so that all references to 8.6.1 are removed?  I would really prefer to NOT uninstall TestStand as we have many custom configurations and changes to the models, tools, etc. that would be a pain to add back in new.

For example, if I uninstall everything NI except:

NI TestStand 4.1

NI TestStand Version Selector

NI Session Manager 4.1

Could I then just reinstall LabVIEW 8.6 and move on?  Or again, is there no way to know until I try it?

I've attached screen snapshots of all the NI products I have installed -- from my viewpoint I've only installed TestStand and LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,575 Views)

It would be possible to eventually figure it out, but you actually do have a fair amount of software installed based on your screenshots. A simpler option might be to download LV 8.6.1 (download link here), extract it, and point the deployment utility to it when prompted. Just having it available might be enough.

Regards,

- Wes

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,561 Views)