LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text message using Labview

Hi ,sorry for makeing this new thread as I know there are already open threads for this issue but to be honest I am a bit confused with different methods of doing this task so I thought I might be better to make this new thread and then follow directions

I need  to design an exercise for UG students.As part of this exercise we suppose to use text message to student mobiles.There are about 15 PCs in the lab and we use Labview and ELVIS II to this exercise 

So far I have seen some of the threads and from what I understand seems like there are different methods of doing this task

1-There is a toolkit provided by NI called LabVIEW Mobile Module.I am not sure this toolkit needs a specific hardware to send text but seems like by using this toolkit it is possible to send and receive text using labview 

2-Also using cellular/GSM modems

So first I would like to know which way is better .As I said there are atleast 15 PCs in the lab and it cost a lot to buy 15 modems or extra hardwares.

Also is there a better solution to this job easier and cheaper and how can I start.I am beginner in Labview

any help really appreciated

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(3,991 Views)

Do the PCs have an internet connection? If so the easiest way to send a text message is to send an email. Cellular service providers can send a text message if you send an email using the phone number and the appropriate domain. Usually, this is phonenumber@company.com, though you should check with the wireless provider.

Your next question will likely be: how do I send an email from LabVIEW?  Well, if you're dealing with an SMTP server that does not use authentication, then the SMTP VIs that ship with LabVIEW will work. However, good luck in finding an SMTP server that does not use authentication. On Windows you can use .NET to send email. Look at the Gmail using LabVIEW example. Or, you can use the old OpenG SMTP VIs.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(3,979 Views)

@ethen99 wrote:

1-There is a toolkit provided by NI called LabVIEW Mobile Module....

2-Also using cellular/GSM modems

The first option is not what you are looking for, that is a Module for developing software that needs to run on a mobile device (handheld/mobile)

The second option is the most direct one, you will need several things:

A GSM modem with a valid COM-address and a working SIM-card.

Most GSM modems come with some software to sent an SMS, you can use this to verify it's actually possible to send  an SMS.

Then you will need to AT+ commando voodoo, if I remember correctly a SMS message is 7bits packed ASCII so you will need to do some bit-jugling. However the manual of your GSM modem should have some info or try Google.

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(3,963 Views)

Many thanks for your reply

yes they all have access to internet and as u said my next question is how to send an email from Labview.I have to check with university but I think they use Ethernet cable and use the university network to access to Internet but I am not sure about it although I am sure about Ethernet cable and not using wireless.

Is there any help documets on this subject?  I will go thorough the samples.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(3,957 Views)

Thanks Ton,

If it is possible to send a text using email ,I would prefer to use this method rather than buying A GSM modem for every PC.but I hope to be able to use this method. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(3,946 Views)

There are examples in the example finder for sending email. For the correct email address see here.

Oops wrong link.

Now Using LabVIEW 2019SP1 and TestStand 2019
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(3,932 Views)

@ethen99 wrote:

Thanks Ton,

If it is possible to send a text using email ,I would prefer to use this method rather than buying A GSM modem for every PC.but I hope to be able to use this method. 

The links I provided point you to two different ways to send email. Did you take a look at them? You will need to check with your network admins to see if this is possible, and whether there are any additional issues such as a firewall.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(3,921 Views)

I have tried the gmail one.works perfect when I send an email to my gmail account and I can check that email from my mobile but it is still email not text

I think as u said I have to send that email to  number@company.com  from my gmail account to get a text instead of email although I have tried it with T-mobile and it didn't work.I think something is wrong with the email to sms gateway address .I have used this website

http://www.mutube.com/projects/open-email-to-sms/gateway-list/

but seems like the email to T-mobile in UK is not correct.

anyone knows where can I find the correct sms gateways for UK networks?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(3,899 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(3,889 Views)

many thanks mate

I have checked this link.Unfortunately there is only one UK provider in thier list

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(3,880 Views)