LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trigger vs. Min Record Length

Hello all - I am relatively new to using the forums, and I am not sure this is an appropriate place to ask this question. If you have a better idea of where/who I should ask to get this question answered, I'd also be glad for those suggestions as well.

I am currently using LabVIEW to interface with the PCI-5124. There is a signal being generated by a pulse (which will act as the trigger) which then will then cause a signal to be generated that channel 0 will pick up. The reciever for channel 1 is farther away and will pick up the same signal an uncertain amount of time later.

I am using the fact that the "total acquisition time is equal to the min record length divided by the sample rate (samples/sec)" (http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3382/en/) to give the user the ability to control the acquisition time and the sample rate.

To recap: An external source pulses, the oscilloscope card triggers, and channel 0 and 1 start recording.

My question is this: If another pulse comes and triggers before the PCI-5124 has finished recording, which takes precedence? Does the recording of the data terminate and start again (in which case I should add a wait to make sure another pulse does not interfere) or does the sample keep being recorded until it's finished?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,027 Views)

The trigger is not armed unless the scope is in the "Idle" state.  Therefore, any "Trigger" event that occurs while an acquisition is in progress is ignored and the currently triggered acquisition will complete.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,019 Views)

Thank you! 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,007 Views)