LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UDP Connection

Hi 

New to labview and looking for a simple example

Im looking for an example of establishing a udp connection to a port on the local pc

and then using the udp write text function to output data to the port

thanks 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,567 Views)

Use the example finder. There are examples showing the very things you seek. LabVIEW ships with lots of examples and there is a wealth of information in them.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,564 Views)
Hi macfernan,

from the LabVIEW taskbar, select Help -> Find Examples -> then search for UDP.

Regards, Jens
Kudos are welcome...
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,561 Views)

You do realize, I hope, the advantages and disadvantages of the various communication methods utilizing TCP/IP that LabVIEW supports.  I've not used UDP, and (fortunately) have not (yet) encountered a Project for which it seemed most appropriate (I tend to use Network Streams for LabVIEW-to-LabVIEW communication).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,506 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

You do realize, I hope, the advantages and disadvantages of the various communication methods utilizing TCP/IP that LabVIEW supports.  I've not used UDP, and (fortunately) have not (yet) encountered a Project for which it seemed most appropriate (I tend to use Network Streams for LabVIEW-to-LabVIEW communication).

Bob Schor

What are the dis/advantages of the communication methods and why are you using network streams?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,493 Views)

If you open LabVIEW Help and look up UDP in the Index, you can find a link to "Data Communications Home" that takes you to a page titled "Data Communication Methods in LabVIEW" (at least in LabVIEW 2016).  Under Buffer Interfaces, Networked, it discusses both Network Streams and TCP.  Under Variable Interfaces, it discusses UDP.

• UDP supports single and multicast.
  • UDP has higher performance than TCP for applications that don't require lossless data transfer.
  • Low level protocol introduces implementation complexity.
  • UDP does not guarantee client receives data.

When I want to send data from Computer A to Computer B over the network, I want the following things:

• Good performance.
  • Robust performance.
  • Simple programming (introducing fewer bugs and snags).
  • Guaranteed Data Transmission -- loss of data is unacceptable.

Hence I use Network Streams.  I would not consider UDP unless I had a multi-cast application where it didn't matter if the Client never got the data.

Bob Schor

Message 6 of 6
(2,485 Views)