cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB CONNECTIVITY WITH LABVIEW

Solved!
Go to solution

Hell all, 

My first post.   Very high level question.   I am working on a product that will have a USB interface on it (Not GPIB).  I am wondering if I can use LabVEIW to connect to that USB interface anyway?  The product is basically a power adapter so I will be using LabVIEW GPIB connected Instruments to test it as a power supply but it would be very useful if my LabVEIW code could also exchange information with the product over the USB interface...   As I said the USB data would not be GPIB it will be whatever we define it to be but not necessarily GPIB (I suppose it could be GPIB but for the sake of argument lets just say its a communication pathway I would like to use in LabVIEW).   If the answer is yes can you point me to any resources that would help me?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,026 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author hibeam77
Message 2 of 6
(3,021 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author hibeam77

Thanks Much... your link

Re: USB CONNECTIVITY WITH LABVIEW

got me into an area where I found what I was looking for..

NI-VISA has something called USB RAW that will let me have a little chat with my product the way I was hoping too....

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,017 Views)

@hibeam77 wrote:

Thanks Much... your link

got me into an area where I found what I was looking for..

NI-VISA has something called USB RAW that will let me have a little chat with my product the way I was hoping too....

I wouldn't want to deal with USB RAW.

If you plan on selling your product, you'll want to re-think your strategy.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,008 Views)
The USB equivalent to GPIB is USBTMC. USB RAW is much nastier from an end-user point of view.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,001 Views)

Hi NYC,

Thanks for all the great feedback.  I actually can't see any good reason not to make the product USBTMC.   Lots of reasons to do that.   Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,996 Views)