LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB6216M - How stable ?

I have a application coming up and the hardware setup I have in mind is as follows :

Industrial PC / WIN 10 Pro / Intel i3 processor

USB6216M DAQ module 1 No.

USB6001 DAQ module 2 No 

( Being an Industrial PC, all DAQ hardware will directly plug into native USB ports and no Hub is involved )

The system will need to have about 12 Analog Inputs / 6 Analog Outputs / 10 Digital Inputs / 10 Digital outputs.

In terms of code complexity its a simple State Machine architecture and enough to run at about 50mS rate. ( 5khz with 250 samples ) 

Question :  Is the USB DAQ modules as listed above a reliable choice for this application ? I have read some articles where they mention about a not so stable performance for main line test stands which are 24/7.  But then they also talk about reasons as passive USB hubs and like. 

( Left to myself I would have gone with a PCI-6229 and PCI-6518 combo which are proven workhorses. But in this case we have the USB DAQ in stock and can thus save on a 3000 USD investment ) 

Raghunathan
LabVIEW to Automate Hydraulic Test rigs.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(903 Views)

Hi MogaRaghu,

@MogaRaghu wrote:

Left to myself I would have gone with a PCI-6229 and PCI-6518 combo which are proven workhorses. But in this case we have the USB DAQ in stock and can thus save on a 3000 USD investment

Well, how much does it cost when the USB-connected DAQ devices introduce any errors at the intended 24/7 test line?

Is it worth to spare those 3000 USD?

USB devices are considered as "not so stable" as PCI(e) boards built into the computer. You really have to check all energy saving options of your computer to avoid USB "shutdowns". And there always is that additional USB cable with its two connectors giving you two more sources of failure (per device!)…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 3
(896 Views)

Of course I cannot really fix a price for a serious failure in the **bleep** end of a test that has been running for a month or so ! But then more than saving the investment, I was keen to make use of the available hardware as it was bought for some other project which never took off ( not because of the USB cards !!) 

Initially in a project we were ( foolishly ) running the three USB cards off a passive USB hub and we really were driven crazy with what used to happen ( or not happen precisely ! ) Late we brought in a powered Belkin hub and there was dramatic improvement except for some very rare crashes. 

Thanks for the input 

Raghunathan
LabVIEW to Automate Hydraulic Test rigs.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(824 Views)