LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unbundle Reference By Name

Is there a reference equivalent to unbundle by name?

In other words, I created a strict type def cluster.  From a reference to the cluster, I can obtain the "Value" property and convert the "Variant to Data" then "Unbundle by Name" to get the value for each control.  Is there an easy way (short of typecasting everything manually), to obtain strict references for the controls in the cluster?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,658 Views)

It would really help if you could attach a small VI or a picture that illustrates your question.

Are you possibly looking for the "Controls[]" property?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,647 Views)

Hi StevenATK,

If you create the Value Property from the instance of the Type Def, you don't need the refnum input.  Would you please elaborate?

Message Edited by Pie56694 on 08-18-2008 02:36 PM
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,595 Views)

Hi Steven!

I wrote this Nugget on exploiting control references and you may be interested in reviewing that article for more ideas.

Another technique that I do not believe I covered in that Nugget will let you at development time create a ref to an object in a cluster on the FP. If you look at Steve's image (above) you could go to the FP and right click on "Slide 2" inside one of the cluster and right-click and choose "create property node" and choose value.

I'd also like to stop and acknowledge you for some good questions. I was struck by a new participant in this forum actively looking for a way to avoid using locals (in your other thread).

If you aren't an experienced user then you have "one he#$" a good insight!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,570 Views)