LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of MUST OVERRIDE

Well, I can't seem to make it work as smoothly as I want.

1... In the CHILD project, I created a new ERASEME.lvlib.

2... In the library, I created a new ERASEME.lvclass

3... I set the inheritance of ERASEME.lvclass to be a child of PARENT.lvclass

4... I made a new VI FOR OVERRIDE in the child class, and chose to overrride the ADDON DESCRIPTOR, the one that I want to work with.

5... I set that VI up the way I want it, and saved it as a VIT  (it's still in the Library).

6... I dragged the VIT out of the library.  BANG - it's BROKEN.  ("Only VIs owned by a llibrary may use dynamic terminals")

7... I can NEW FROM TEMPLATE on this VIT, but the new VI is broken, and it's named "Addon Descriptor 1.vi" (or 2,vi...).

IF

--- I change its name back to ADDON DESCRIPTOR

and

--- drag it into the new library

then it works.

I'm debating whether that's less of a PITA than the straightforward way: just create the override, erase the call to parent and set it up yourself.

Or maybe there's a better way...

Steve Bird
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(911 Views)

AND

If I get rid of the ERASEME class, and just have the VIT, then every VI I create from the VIT searches for the ERASEME class, which doesn't exist.

Steve Bird
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(907 Views)

That is a PITA.  I would still try a project template- but then you get more than just the vi for override you get a new library with chlid class and all the class members.  That might not be a bad thing though. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(884 Views)

@CoastalMaineBird wrote:

What I want is for the created child to have a diagram just like the parent above, where you "fill in the form" and save it.

Any way to do that?

I haven't  fully read the other responses, but are you aware of the "LVOOP Assistant"?   It's "Clone Method" File option does what your wanting, making an exact copy of the method but with object class changed.

Message 14 of 14
(876 Views)