LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use the PXI-4071 DMM's Digitizer to collect discharge voltage

Solved!
Go to solution

This question involves both LabVIEW and TestStand but its more LV than TS I believe. 

I need to use the Digitizer on the DMM to collect a discharge voltage from a capacitor. I Have some very fast setup steps (<10ms)that i need to do before the discharge will occur, which is fast in itself (20ms). So i want to tell the digitizer to start collecting data before i run my setup so that i can capture the voltage waveform before, during and after the discharge. Then I want to be able to go back and extract the data from the digitizer for analysis. 

Can I do this with the DMM digitizer? I was under the impression that i could but have not used one of these before. 

Is there an example that demonstrates this? I have not found one in the example finder for labview. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,765 Views)

There seems to be a few on digitizing with the DMM.  I would recommend looking at the Fetch & Graph Waveform example.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 5
(2,757 Views)

Hi

Where did you get the Labview VI's for the PXI 4071 multi-meter because i tried opening up your vi and it couldn't find "niDMM Fetching Waveform.vi" did you make those yourself? my email is Intern@wascoinc.com if you need it 

thanks 

Devin

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,600 Views)

Have you downloaded and installed the NI-DMM driver?  They are included with the driver, as well as the Fetch & Graph Waveform.vi example shown in the previous screenshot.

NI-DMM driver link:

http://search.ni.com/nisearch/app/main/p/bot/no/ap/tech/lang/en/pg/1/sn/ssnav:drv/q/DMM/

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,594 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author KovAcevich7

I should have responded to this thread a long time ago. Long story short, I found a solution and was able to use the DMM's digitizer to capture the waveform I wanted to. In Teststand, I created a stand-alone sequence that only had the digitizer vi. Then I was able to create a sequence call with a new thread to start capturing data, go off and do what I needed to do to get my capacitor to discharge, and then place a wait later in the sequence to wait on my new thread that was capturing data. That allowed me to capture the whole waveform and keep Teststand form continuing on to anything else until the measurement was done. 

I have attached a zip with the digitizer vi and the sub vi's used. The vi used the NI-DMM drivers package.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,495 Views)