LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Stepper Motor as an Encoder

Solved!
Go to solution

Ok now if I buy any quadrature encoder, would it show me the type--like x1, x2 as it says in the encoder tutorial in Ni website.

Thanks

SK

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 42
(2,823 Views)

The encoder's documentation should either explicitly tell you which of those encodings it uses, or you can compare the counting pattern to the pattern in this article, which will provide the same information.

John B.
Embedded Networks R&D
National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 42
(2,809 Views)

Ok, iam pretty much done with the labview part, only thing that is left is the encoder part....once I buy any quadrature encoder--how will I make sure that it would fit the shaft of my stepper motor--this is what Iam stuck at...will I need to buy additional accessories with encoder to make sure it fit or should I contact the manufacturer first and tell them about the shaft diameter..Also, for the encoder part, my budget is no more that $90-100, the encoders from NI are close to about 200 and are ideal for large scale applications----now for small stuff like I have, which manufactures would you reccommend me.

Thanks

SK

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 42
(2,795 Views)

You tell the encoder manufacturer what your shaft size is.  They generally come in a range of sizes for different shafts.

We've used some encoders from Danaher called Dynapar  http://www.dynapar.com/

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 42
(2,789 Views)

Hello

How can I program my encoder to take position measurement after every T seconds and show the corresponding velocity of the shaft rotation.....

I have DAQ, NI ELVIS and the Labview.

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 42
(2,775 Views)

While loop with a wait function of T * 1000 milliseconds.

Store the current position in a shift register.  Take the difference between the current position and the position that was stored in the shift register in the last iteration and divide by your time.

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 42
(2,769 Views)

That helps a lot, and does show me some light....Ok the position value that I acquire every T second, what can I do to record every position.

Thanks

SK

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 42
(2,756 Views)

Here is an example counting the encoder edges.

John B.
Embedded Networks R&D
National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 42
(2,736 Views)

Hi 

Now Iam using a simple quadrature encoder, I found this example on the NI website that shows the how to take measurments of the Encoder using the DAQ device...I saw this breadboard picture of the entire schematic... I need what are the resistors and capacitors are for with encoder. Attached is the picture...

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 42
(2,713 Views)

Brown black orange is 10 kohm resistor.  There is no way to identify the capacitors from the picture.

Where did you find this picture on the NI website?

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 42
(2,710 Views)