LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using access with 64 bit labview

Hello,

I have 64 bit version of Labview, and I want to use an access database.  I used the internal search for examples, and it showed an example in examples/comm/access.llb.   Well, that does not exist with this install.  (I did a 32 bit install, and they exist.)

Has anyone have success with 64 bit LV and access?   Any links to where to start...  Just need a nudge in the right direction.   🙂

-- brett

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,922 Views)

Hey Brett,

I think they may be installed with the database connectivity toolkit, which is 32-bit only, meaning they would be in program files (x86)/NI/LV/examples... etc.

Try searching for the term "access" in the example finder, and that should give you the VIs you are looking for.

Thanks,

Daniel

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,895 Views)

Yep.  First thing I tried, searching for examples.  There is nothing there for access.  And the toolkit did not install, problably because it is a 64 bit system and not supported.  

Any more ideas? I need to get something working.   I may have to dump a text file, and use VB to make it work.

-- brett

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,891 Views)

LabSQL would be an option, I haven't tried it on 64 bit windows but its worth a try as it does not require that database toolkit.

There are quite a few posts on LabSQL on the forums that can be searched. As a starter, try here:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/how-to-create-a-simple-database-without-Database-Toolkit/m-p/1272962...

Good luck,

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,877 Views)

Thanks for that suggestion Ian.

I've looked through our documentation on 64-bit compatibility for LabVIEW and it looks like you are correct, that should not have installed. What I didn't realize was that the test machine I was using also had 32-bit labview, so the example finder located all of those examples.

Is there any reason you cannot use the 32-bit version of LabVIEW? At the moment, that is the best option we have for internal compatibility, as most toolkits have not been ported to the 64-bit version of LabVIEW, even though they can run on a 64-bit operating system.

Past that, I've taken a look at Ian's suggestion and it seems like a pretty solid thing to try, along with the API in the second post of that thread.. Let us know if it works for you.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,848 Views)

I need to use the 64 bit version, as I am manipulating very large arrays, and the 32 bit version runs out of RAM.  (It's a very large MP camera, and high frame rate.)

I will look at Ian's suggestion.  (thanks Ian!)

-- brett

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,837 Views)

Just in case anyone comes across this thread whilst looking into LabSQL and 64 bit windows (as I just did), the following post on Lava might be of use....

http://lavag.org/topic/14287-labsql-ado-slow-on-lv2010-64bit/

That said, so far, for me the work around isn't working (using LabVIEW 8.5, Windows 7 64 bit). I don't get a slow response, just no data. The code works fine on 32 bit XP.

So if anyone else has any wisdom here... please share!

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,738 Views)

We solved the problem here by calling access with a passed vb script for data writing.  So, I called the macro using the dos command:

msaccess.exe "database path" /x "macro"

I wrote all the data to a CSV, which the macro looks for.  Not elegant, but works.

-- brett

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,733 Views)

Actually - my mistake, seems to be OK on other PCs running V8.5 on win7, 64 bit without the workaround posted above. My problem must have arisen from a fault on the settings of that one PC.

So, to keep with the original topic, LabSQL does seem fine on 64 bit windows for accessing MS access databases - I've tested on V8.5 and clearly the poster on Lava had some success with V2010.

Cheers!

Ian

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,727 Views)