LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VI executable runs differently on a target machine

Solved!
Go to solution

I created a VI that accesses a USB-6003 and a USB-6212. From that, I built an executable. The executable runs fine on my LV development machine, but when ported to a target machine that has only the LV runtime and the NI drivers loaded, the VI seems to run, but it will not access the DAQ devices. The DAQ devices show up in MAX on the target machine, and both work fine in a MAX test panel. I have a controls on the front panel to select the devices, and both devices show up in the drop down lists, but the VI shows no data from the DAQ devices. 

Is this a build parameter issue? Did I forget to check something when I built the executable?

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(651 Views)

Hi modus,

@Modusincertum wrote:

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

How do you define the DAQmx tasks in your EXE?

How do you reference the DAQmx devices?

Did you set the very same labels for those devices as was used on your development computer?

Which errors do you get in your EXE?

You do some error handling, don't you?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(611 Views)

Hi GerdW,

I created the tasks using the DAQmx VIs. I used MAX to ensure that the devices were labeled the same on both computers. As I stated, when I search for the devices in the physical channels control, they are detected and I'm able to select the appropriate channels. However, the DAQ devices show no data in the associated indicators when running on the target PC.

I don't get any errors, and I do have error handling. I appreciate that reminder.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(581 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Modusincertum

Hmmm, we may need to see your project. If it's not too big, post it here. 

One thought, are you using any filepaths for config files or anything like that?  Remember that you need to adjust the path between dev mode and EXEs. 

Error 7 in Executable When Using the Current VI's Path Constant - NI

How Do I Construct a Path to a Directory in LabVIEW? - NI

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
Message 4 of 7
(574 Views)

Did you create tasks in MAX and not export them to the new computer? That's a classic.

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(570 Views)

Thank  you NIquist,

you sent me down the right path. I had selected a local file, but for some reason, the app wouldn't open it and did not report an error. I deleted the file and recreated it and now the app is working. Start with the simple things first...right.

Thanks for mentioning that.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(562 Views)

@Modusincertum wrote:

Thank  you NIquist,

you sent me down the right path. I had selected a local file, but for some reason, the app wouldn't open it and did not report an error. I deleted the file and recreated it and now the app is working. Start with the simple things first...right.

Thanks for mentioning that.

Regards,

An executable is built with debugging off, so if you are relying on popup errors to do your error trapping, you will have to implement real error handling instead.  (Popup error dialogs are part of debugging.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(526 Views)