LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the general problem with this OriginLab VI?

I'd like to use some VIs provided by OriginLab for their graphing and analysis software.  They apparently haven't updated their VIs since Labview version 8.5  The attached screenshot is an example of the general problem I'm seeing in their VIs.  If I hover over the property nodes, the Labview context help gives the error "This property is not valid for this class."  It looks to me like these are Origin classes and Origin properties, so I'm surprised by that error.

Any idea about the reason for this problem?  I'd like to explain it to them in a little more detail and try to motivate them to fix it.  Still, I doubt it will happen soon.  Any suggestions about whether it's something I could fix myself?

Thanks!

Origin Labview problem.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,757 Views)

Assuming you have their software and ActiveX class installed, it seems to me like their ActiveX interface changed. On that first node it's selected WorksheetPages. If you left-click on that node what properties do you see? Perhaps they renamed it. Or perhaps you just need to reselect it in order to relink. I've had that happen to me before.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,749 Views)

My guess would be that you need to somehow 'relink' the control to the ActiveX class. On the FP, right click on Origin.IOApplication and browse for the class.

Something similar (don't remember) did happen to me in LV7.1 with other ActiveX classes.

Felix

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,744 Views)

Thanks to both of you.  I didn't even realize this had to do with ActiveX classes--I read up on this and now have some idea what that means.  I guess the class definitions should be in some file somewhere (.ocx or .dll?).   They don't show up under the right click option "Select ActiveX class", so I suspect that the necessary files are not installed, or at the very least, I don't know where to find them.

I will ask the company and update here for future reference when I have an answer.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,736 Views)

Felix and Saverio,

I'd like to understand your statements: "ActiveX class installed" and "'relink' the control to the ActiveX class".

Specifically, what sort of files define an ActiveX class (dll?, ocx?), and where might I expect to find them?  As I mentioned, I don't automatically see them if I right click on Origin.IOApplication, but I have the option to browse.  I don't see them among the OriginLab VIs that were automatically installed in Labview/user.lib.  (I understand that Origin may be unfamiliar, but I'm just looking for some generic understanding.)

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,703 Views)

The activeX interface might be inside a *.ocx, *.dll and even a *.exe file. So manually browsing and trying files with these endings might work. You could even try a text search with a hex editor to identify possible ActiveX components, you should find the keywords IDispatch and IUnknown in them. Smiley Wink

The proper way would be when they show up in the list. This actually is derived from some registry keys (I think it was a bit cryptic to track in the registry, as it involved searching for CLSID or the like). Proper registration is done by command line regsrv32 (if memory serves right). Normally this is automatically called from the installer.

So it might be the best you just try to reinstall Origin.

Also search the Origin folder if there are some other examples included there (and if they work).

Felix

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,687 Views)