cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the recommended design pattern for that kind of application

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all

I'm working on a project which should look like a tablet PC application, shown in the attached picture.

The larger window on the right side should change depending on which button has been pressed in the left vertical bar.

My question is, how can I implement such a behavior or is there a recommended design pattern for this?

My first idea was about tabs but this means that all controls and indicators are needed in the main vi which would make my code confusing if it grows.

Thank you for your answers

Benjamin

Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,326 Views)

We used tabs in an app we did a while back. I don't remeber if sub-panels will be an option for you, but if available those can help.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,314 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Benjamin_

Take a look at the plugin architecture presented here.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 3 of 6
(2,295 Views)

Tabs or sub panels is usually the way to go. You can also combine them if you dont want to swap panels. A subpanel in each tab.

Assuming you make it event driven you'll probably have events for each control and will place them in their events. It will need to be very large before that becomes an issue. I recently did an application with approx 80 events and ~20ish tabs (3 or 4 tab controls with several tabs each).

Tabs will make the trick.  

/Y 

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,284 Views)

"

My first idea was about tabs but this means that all controls and indicators are needed in the main vi which would make my code confusing if it grows.

"

No not really, wire the tab reference to a subVI then get the tab property, the property gives you all controls on that tab. But I see tabs get over used IMHO. Just wire ctrl reference in an cluster or array to your subVIs, decide what to do with them when the time comes. Your question is a broad one needs more specifics.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,279 Views)

Thank you to all for your ideas.

I have had a look at the plugin architecture and in seems to be an appropriate way to go.

Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,245 Views)