LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I subtract two DBL numbers and try to compare the result with another DBL, it fails

Solved!
Go to solution

I found a curious problem with subtracting and comparing DBL numbers in LabVIEW (8.6). Here's how it works:

1. Subtract two DBL numbers such that the result is non integral. (Say, 3.2 - 3.1)

2. Compare the result with a constant/control which is set to the result of the subtraction (in the example, 0.1)

3. View the output of the comparison.

If the result of the subtraction is an integer, the boolean output is set (as expected). If the result is non-integral, the comparison fails.

(Now, if I simply compare two floating point numbers, it works, so the issue is not with the comparison node itself, but with the data that's input to the node). Can someone figure out why this happens? If it's unexpected, it's a pretty serious bug. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,708 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anil Kandangath
It's expected with all programming languages. Floating point numbers do not have an exact representation in binary. This has been endlessly discussed. Never use the equal function with floats. You can use the In Range and Coerce function.
Message 2 of 4
(3,702 Views)

A quote of a typo from a couple of years ago; 

"1 can not be represnted in binary." (Christian Altenbach, LabVIEW Champion, Knight of NI)*

What he should have wrote was "0.1" can't be represented in binary.

The easiest way to see this for yourself is to

1) take a numeric control and set it for about 14 decimal places.

2) Use your cursor tool to select the least significant digit.

3) Use your keyborad up/down arrow to increment the value.

If you look closesly, the PC is approximating the value.

Ben

* From what i can remeber it was the only time he has ever screwed up.

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 3 of 4
(3,701 Views)

Thanks, that makes sense. 

Also, for anyone else who might chance upon this thread.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/69333

Message 4 of 4
(3,672 Views)