LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which specifications do I have to pay attention to when choosing NI modules?

Hello everyone,

I am facing the challenge of carrying out measurements with the following devices: TEROS 06; Scanntronik soil analysis sensor (digital); cable sensor / buffer sensor with PVC cable.
I have access to various NI modules. Now I am wondering whether there is already a module among these that is suitable for this.

The available NI modules are: 9205, 9208, 9213, 9214, 9215, 9219, 9263, 9264, 9265, 9425, 9477, 9485, 9923. I also have access to the NI CRIO9074.

Have you had any experience with one of these modules for similar applications? Which one would you recommend and why?

I would also like to know which characteristics I need to look out for in the specifications in future so that I can solve similar problems myself. Are there certain specifications or features that are particularly important?

I look forward to your feedback and experiences!

Many thanks in advance!
Kind regards 

Measuring devices:
https://library.metergroup.com/Integrator%20Guide/18411%20TEROS%2006%20Integrator%20Guide.pdf

https://www.datenlogger-store.de/scanntronik-boden-analyse-sensor.html

https://d-sensors.shop/temperaturfuehler/kabelfuehler/42/kabelfuehler/pufferfuehler-mit-pvc-leitung?...

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(157 Views)

Well, the used Modules should obviously match electrical spec for your devices. In your list the modules are quite different, for example, 9205 is the Voltage Input Module, but the next listed 9208 is the Current Input Module.

I have the only experience with 9401, 9411 and 9472 inserted into cRIO-9054. For us the criterias was simple — we need high precision timing for TTL (therefore 9401 100ns was used) as well as 24 V input and output for industrial connections as fast input, therefore 9411 500 ns, and slow non-time critical output, where 9472 100 µs was used. In your case — the Voltage or Current range needs to be measured, speed and desired accuracy are most important criterias.

But from your first link I see that the analysis sensor are connected to the "Data Logger" equipped with RS485 Interface, so are you sure that you really need analog input modules and cRIO at all (its only makes sense if you would like to connect sensors directly to cRIO)?

It looks like you located in Germany - try to take contact with local distributor, show your devices and they help you to choose proper Modules and architecture, or may be try to "ping" Kevin_Price to drop some comment in this topic — in the past he friendly helped me a lot during my initial decision to choose the right hardware.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(133 Views)

You can use the 9219 to read the pt100 sensors (Kabelsensor)

Best  would be if the sensor supports 4 wire configuration (the end has 4 wires, I guess two red and two white)

The TEROS support different digital protcols , if yours has a RS485 connection, all you need it a rs485 to usb adaptor and a serial/modbus lib for the software you want to use.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(69 Views)

In terms of the controller cRIO-9074 you need to be aware that it is a VxWorks based PPC controller. NI removed support for these after LabVIEW 2019 SP1, so you should verify that you can use a LabVIEW version 2019 SP1 or earlier. And you need to use CompactRIO 19.6 or earlier.

Also there is no chance to get an USB to serial converter working on this controller as it has no USB port and even if it had it would never work with non-NI hardware as you can not install random device drivers on the VxWorks system. You would either have to connect any USB converter to your main computer or use a C series 9870(RS-232) or 9871(RS-485) module. If your sensor is RS-232 you can also use the built in serial port on the 9074.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 4 of 4
(64 Views)