LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Writing a VI for an accelerometer

I'm currently trying to write a LabVIEW VI for an arcade style punching bag machine. I want to take the voltage reading from a Triple Axis Accelerometer Breakout - ADXL335 and turn it into a force reading. I'm fairly new to LabVIEW and I don't even know where to start. Could someone help?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(436 Views)

Hi Brain,

@SmoothBrain wrote:

I'm fairly new to LabVIEW and I don't even know where to start. Could someone help?

Did you notice those "Training resources" offered at the top of the LabVIEW board?

Did you explore the example finder in LabVIEW?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(404 Views)

Sure.  I think in the 20-teens (maybe 2017?) I encountered these accelerometers which senior BME students were using as accelerometers to measure muscle twitches.  Here are some ideas/issues to consider (which my students didn't think of, to my shock and dismay):

• Based on the specs for this device, how do you calibrate the three axes?  Note that gain and bias values for the three axes have a large "uncertainty".
  • How do you calibrate all three axes at the same time (preferably without a very accurate 3-D positioner to turn it through precise angles).
  • You want to measure Force.  The Accelerometer gives you acceleration.  Are these the same?  How are they related (if at all)?

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(350 Views)

That device looks like it just outputs voltage based on the signals it gets.  Do you have some kind of voltage-detecting hardware to hook up to it?  A NI DAQ of some kind maybe, since you're asking here?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(327 Views)