LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XY Projection onto Spherical 3D Picture Texture

I am attempting to make a spherical indicator and plot intensities on it's surface as data comes in. I moved away from 3D graph and looked into doing using 3D picture. One method I am using is to feed the data (theta, phi, intensity) into a 3D array using spherical to XY projection and then convert it to an image. I then use this image as a texture for the sphere.

My question is: How does labview project the image around the sphere?

I have attempted to use the miller cylindrical projection equations (x = theta, y = (5/4)ln(tan((1/4)PI()+(2/5)Phi)) to edit my image before applying it as a texture. However this does not seem to correctly map between XY and polar in labview.

I am trying to use texture because I imagine it would make for a smoother indicator than creating a new object for every data point on the sphere. I am not using 3D graph because I didn't see any obvious way to control the surface. I am a new user and might also be overlooking the obvious. I appreciate any suggestions.

Attached is rough code I am testing this idea with and an image. The image shows the XY projection for data points every 10 degrees and the lack of points projected back onto the 3D picture. The blue parts will never had data points.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,683 Views)

In typical fashion I tend to answer my own questions.

I applied a square grid as a texture. It seems labview stretches along x (latitude) and leaves y (longitude) alone (opposit of what I was thinking). I am still not sure of any mathematical construct to show this beyond observation. I still welcome and hope for additional input.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,673 Views)