LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

abortion execution property node

johnsold wrote:

Ravens Fan,

I think you are right.  I was thinking of "Application Instance Close?" and the "Panel Close?" rather than abort.  I did not have LV open to check.

Lynn 

Lynn, 
grrrr... I was searching for this event about 20 mins now!!!  :smileymad:

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 22
(1,862 Views)

Vsh wrote:
There is really no use of (or point in) showing Abort button to the user as it is solely meant for debugging, only and only a developer of the vi must have access to it! and no other.

I think this hit the nail on the head. Use the event structure to capture the Application Instance Close and Panel Close events as well as your stop button. In your running application there is no reason to show the standard buttons you see in the development mode. They don't make much sense in a running application.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 22
(1,852 Views)

I can't find the link right now but an often quoted LabVIEW saying is: "Stopping your vi with the Abort button is like stopping your car by running into a tree.  It WILL work but, there may be consequences."

For any rugged application you do want to capture the "Panel close?" event, (optionally prompt the user to confirm) run cleanup code (optimally setting cursor busy or pop-up a "Closing app" Dialog,)  Then stop the vi.  hopefully the VI properties are set to close front panel or the caller is set to close it programatically.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 22
(1,842 Views)

Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences. 

You can find it in the signature from Ed Dickens

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 22
(1,831 Views)

Vsh: There even exists a picture (with a car stopped by a tree) with this saying. 10 min searching but I didn't find it. If anyone has bookmarked it: please post the link.

It consider it very educational to new users not to rely on that button at all.

Felix 

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 22
(1,818 Views)

F. Schubert wrote:

[...]There even exists a picture (with a car stopped by a tree)[...]

Anyone can create this on his/her own. Simply download a picture of a car which crashed against a tree and here you go.....

Norbert (who has made such an image as background image for his laptop) 

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 22
(1,810 Views)

A typical necessity for a "hard" abort is when your program becomes locked up in an infinite loop, which you may have encountered due to an ill-placed dialog box - being accessed continuously. This is a case where you need to Abort, but the abort button (or Control+Period) don't work.

Someone wrote a VI which will allow you to Abort such VI's, but it has a protected block diagram. I regret to say I've forgotten who supplied this VI, because they deserve credit. I bet many of you have it and may know the author. I wonder how it works?

The VI is attached.

Message Edited by Broken Arrow on 11-25-2009 09:01 AM
Richard

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 22
(1,792 Views)

Broken Arrow: If my memory serves, the Abort Vi was posted as a nugget from Darren. It is password protected because of the code that accesses your VI is based on private properties/scripting properties. I don't know wether these are released under the scripting 'license', so they could be made public.

Felix 

Message 18 of 22
(1,783 Views)

F. Schubert wrote:

Broken Arrow: If my memory serves, the Abort Vi was posted as a nugget from Darren. It is password protected because of the code that accesses your VI is based on private properties/scripting properties. I don't know wether these are released under the scripting 'license', so they could be made public.

Felix 

Some things are better left private.
Richard

Message 19 of 22
(1,778 Views)

There is no need for scripting except i am overlooking some rather special cases where VIs running as top level VIs must not be aborted the hard way.

Nevertheless: It is not recommended to implement something like the attached VI and i hope that nobody is going to abuse it....

And everyone please always remember the CAR and the TREE!

Norbert

PS: I have seen severe hardware damage because some "inguine developer" was used to terminate his applications always by pressing the "Abort Execution" Button on the VIs....... 

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 22
(1,776 Views)