From Thursday, May 23rd (05:00 PM CDT) through Friday, April 24th (1:30 AM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bit rate

Solved!
Go to solution

hi everybody

i want to check bit rate sent out out by a random number (0 to 1) but cant be able to.

actually what i have done uptill now is that i have placed a build array function with two inputs (first as tick count (ms) and second as random number) and write data on excel sheet by using 'write to spreadsheet.vi' function outside the while loop but as i kept on increasing the functions being performed in the while loop, no of bits per sec kept on deceasing

i want to check the actual rate at which random number is sending out bits

Regards

Aqib

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,475 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author islamabad

In your loop you are buidlng an array like below, right?  With the array, you are using the tickcount to calculate the time it takes to geneate a random number?  The timing is closely tied to how much stuff is in the loop, as you have noticed.  One way to get around this is to make this a dedicated loop running in parallel.  You can pass this array to another loop through a queue.

tickcount1, random1, tickcount2, random2, .........

------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos and Accepted as Solution are welcome!
Message 2 of 6
(2,448 Views)

@islamabad wrote:

hi everybody

i want to check bit rate sent out out by a random number (0 to 1) but cant be able to.

I don't understand what this even means. How do you define a bit rate for a random number?

actually what i have done uptill now is that i have placed a build array function with two inputs (first as tick count (ms) and second as random number) and write data on excel sheet by using 'write to spreadsheet.vi' function outside the while loop but as i kept on increasing the functions being performed in the while loop, no of bits per sec kept on deceasing

i want to check the actual rate at which random number is sending out bits

Again, I don't understand what you are referring to when you say "rate". The rate of what? You haven't even defined a process that's actually generating anything. All you've done is build a 2D array of values.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,442 Views)

hi

just tell me one thing that how can i generate random bits from zero to seven at certain rate/speed(bits per sec)?

i have this makes you clear about my question, if not then tell me i will send u my code and then u can have a look at it

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,403 Views)

Your question still doesn't make sense because there is no context. To ask how you can generate a specific bit rate is insufficient because you have not said whether you are trying to do this in hardware or software. If it's hardware then the answer is that it depends on what hardware you have. If it's software, then the answer is that it's impossible to guarantee a bit rate when using an operating system like Windows. This has been discussed ad nauseam since modern operating systems were invented. Any non-real operating system cannot guarantee a specific rate to any process. While LabVIEW has a timed loop, it's still a slave to the operating system. Consequently, the best that you can say is that you can have a high degree of probability of getting a stable rate if the rate is very low (i.e., less than a few hundred Hz).

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,396 Views)

Is it in context with a DAQ device?  You can send the code if you want, so we can have a better idea.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos and Accepted as Solution are welcome!
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,391 Views)