LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

controlling a contactor via labview fpga

Hello everyone, I am asking for your help as I am not very experienced with labVIEW.
For my thesis, I was asked to control the contacts of a contactor via FPGA, using labVIEW.
I simply need to close the contact at a certain time and then open it again, but I am not sure how to program it via labVIEW.
In my idea I wanted to simply switch the channel to which the contactor will be connected on or off. My target FPGA for the project is the PXI 7841R and the system is a real time system. I honestly don't even know if it is the best idea to control it via FPGA, so I am open to any suggestions.
My system is also equipped with a compactRIO.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(503 Views)

Hi Maria,

@DGR_MARIA wrote:

For my thesis, I was asked to control the contacts of a contactor via FPGA, using labVIEW.
I simply need to close the contact at a certain time and then open it again, but I am not sure how to program it via labVIEW.

Can you explain why you need to use a FPGA to open/close a contactor? (I guess you talk about a large relais for high voltage/current when you use the word "contactor"!?)

A contactor operates rather slow and usually does not need the timing accuracy of a FPGA routine for switching: so what are your requirements?

Do you have any other (DAQ) hardware available in your PXI and cRIO chassis?

Which kind of contactor do you need to handle?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(501 Views)

Hello Bob, 

thank you for your response.20230728_162532.jpg

I enclose a photo of the type of contactor I am using, I have to insert it into a machine that carries out tests on differential circuit breakers, its purpose is to isolate a component from the machine (linear amplifier) at a certain point in time during the tests.
Yes, I also have a DAQ available.
the opening and closing of the contactor doesn't have any real time intervals, certainly it must open or close within 2 sec, but I don't have any specific values, obviously the faster the better.
My lecturer advised me to control the opening and closing of the contactor via FPGA, but I don't think for any particular reason

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(452 Views)

Hi Maria,

@DGR_MARIA wrote:
Yes, I also have a DAQ available.
the opening and closing of the contactor doesn't have any real time intervals, certainly it must open or close within 2 sec, but I don't have any specific values, obviously the faster the better.
My lecturer advised me to control the opening and closing of the contactor via FPGA, but I don't think for any particular reason

Which "DAQ" do you have available? Please provide information as specific as possible!

Which input voltage/current does the contactor need? (I'm sure you cannot connect it directly to your FPGA card!)

What's your plan of driving that contactor?

Do you have any knowledge in building up electric circuits using such contactors? (Is there an electrician in your lab you can ask about?)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(422 Views)