LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fixed width font in string control

Solved!
Go to solution

I am doing some alignment in the text control and want to use "fixed-point" or monospaced font, Consolas.

The Consolas font is very basic font in all Windows and Notepad and shows "zero(0)" treatment as you can see the attachment.

I set the font for a string control, the string control shows the different font though property node showed the intended information.

(I have to notice that Labview font dialog shows the right information.)

My problem is that the font, Consolas, can find Notepad and Windows but cannot display it rightly on the string control.

Can you help how can I check this problem?

Attachment: comparison of each program.

labmaster.

*) Other Korean default font shows the fixed width in strong control as attachment.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 39
(6,264 Views)

It displays for me with no problem (see picture below). It looks like you haven't change the font of the actual control.

The font ring does not display the font of the currently selected control UNLESS the text cursor is inside the control. Then it will show you the current font selection. What it does show is the default font selection if you were to drop a new control.

Put your text cursor inside your text box -- I bet the ring changes to some other font.

Select the whole control and then change the font ring to Consolas (even though it is already showing Consolas, select it again anyway). That'll set it.

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 39
(6,212 Views)

My question is not how to apply for the font to the string control.

Your font, Consolas, is not real fixed width font and cannot align some combined text (space or different width letters) with that font.

My question is why they are different appearance in notepad or original font description of Wikipedia.

labmaster.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 39
(6,198 Views)

@labmaster wrote:
Your font, Consolas, is not real fixed width font and cannot align some combined text (space or different width letters) with that font.

I am not sure I understand... that isn't our font... that's the Windows Consolas font. It looks the same in LabVIEW that it does in MSWord. And in both, it appears to be a fixed width font.

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 39
(6,186 Views)

Thanks for your effort.

Here is the counter example in LabVIEW.

I am talking about the bug of LabVIEW and Consolas was well known as fix-width font.

Usually the problem of alignment was caused from special characters like blank +, -, ., \ etc.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 39
(6,160 Views)

If you use that same example in word, what do you see?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 39
(6,112 Views)

Thanks for the comment.

My example can be presented without a problem countrary to the case of Labview.

At this moment, why labVIEW can't present he fixed-width font on string control.

Please do not change the target.

For a long time, somebody replied the alignment can be achieved by array of string then be converted to spreadsheet.

I don't have any reason for alternative. In my opinion, just use fixed-width font like some c++ programmers.

You can find their favorite fonts for this alignment.

labmaster.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 39
(6,103 Views)

Hi labmaster,

we don't change the topic.

We all tell you Consolas is a monospaced font and it is displayed by LabVIEW as it should:

check.png(German LV2014SP1, 32bit on Win8.1-64bit)

As it seems you're the only one having problems with this font you should check your computer and/or LabVIEW settings…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 39
(6,089 Views)

Many thanks.

That's what I want to know it.

Maybe, different configuration (version and language) could be a problem.

What is the default font of German notepad? (Maybe, Consolas?)

Did you try it with Courier?

The reason why I am asking the default font of notepad, only "one" default font (not Consolas or Courier) was presented rightly in my case.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 39
(6,076 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author labmaster

Hi labmaster,

Notepad uses Consolas by default, too.

Courier looks like this:

check.png

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019