LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gmail SMTP and port 465

Until a couple of months ago, using the Mail tools to send e-mails via the gmail server worked fine using port 465.

First it stopped working from home and about a week or two later it also stopped working from my workplace. It has not worked since. (Seems like the various local servers are updated at different times)

(Yes, my specific gmail account is configured to allow less secure apps)

Apparently, google has retired some of the older SSL standards, so I wonder if the LabVIEW tools are suddenly no longer compatible. Is there a way to get this working again on port 465 (Yes, port 587 still works, but I wonder why 465 no longer works. It is more of an academic question at this point). What SSL flavors are used by LabVIEW for this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(6,538 Views)

I know that OpenSSL is used by LabVIEW. It looks like one of the new requirements stated in the google post is not being implemented. Unfortunately I am not sure which requirement that would be.

Dale S.
RF Systems Engineer - NI
Message 2 of 14
(6,465 Views)

I am getting a similar problem on Aruba server, that uses only port 465.

Does Labview support sending mail on 465 port? As far I understand, there is a difference on implicit/explicit encryption between 465 and 587 port and, up to now I able to send mail through Labview only by 587 port.

Thank you for the support!

@Hey.itsDale

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(5,594 Views)

In the LabVIEW help for the SMTP Open Handle VI, it says that you can configure a port to use in the SMTP Open Handle VI by appending a colon an the port number to the server address. If you're using TLS, you have to wire a True to that terminal, since the default is unencrypted. You can then use the SMTP Config TLS VI to configure the encryption, so you should be able to set it up to send to port 465.

C. Weeks
Product Support Engineer
NI
Message 4 of 14
(5,562 Views)

Thank you very much for your answer!

Unfortunately, the posted link refers to Labview 2017, while I am using Labview 2016 and I am not able to find the same VI. Can I install it also on Labview 2016 version?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(5,547 Views)

...I have just found it also on Labview 2016...but is there also a complete example of mail sending?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(5,544 Views)

If you open LabVIEW and click on Help >> Find Examples that will open up the NI Example Finder. Switch to the search tab and type "email" in the search bar that appears. There should be a "Send Email using SMTP Client.vi", and that is a working example that will show how to send email.

C. Weeks
Product Support Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(5,542 Views)

I am sorry, but I am not able to the use the example on stmp.gmail.com, while the attached VI works on Gmail on port 587

In my problem, I would like to send a mail on a server using 465 port

Thank you very much for your kind support!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(5,539 Views)

I assume you mean smtp.gmail.com. if you misspell the server, it will not work on any port.

As outlined in my first post, Google has tightened the encryption standards, so this will not work with Gmail servers. It might still work with other smtp servers.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(5,534 Views)

You can use stunnel to set up a proxy mail server on your computer (it's a lot easier than it sounds) to send whatever email system on whatever port using whatever encryption.

I use it with applications that are so stupid and/or outdated that they insist on using port 25, no encryption, to send email!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 10 of 14
(5,531 Views)