LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hide front panel from Sub-VI

Hello,

I am using a VI that is calling a sub VI and opens the front panel. At another point in the main program, the sub VI with the same name is called, this time without showing the front panel. So the block diagram contains the sub VI twice, once with open panel activated, once with open panel disabled in the sub VI setup. This works fine in LV 6.1. In LV 2009, however, the front panel (when it should not be shown) appears for about a second, then disappears. This is only in the executable, not under Labview. How can this be avoided?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,285 Views)

Without seeing your code I can't be more helpful, but I would suspect you have a data flow/timing issue. Also, make sure that your vi that runs open and/or closed has the vi property "Show front panel when called" is un-checked and it's visibility is controlled with calling software only and not the vi itself.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,271 Views)

I would call it dynamically using the Open VI Reference and Run VI invoke nodes.  It will run the VI without opening the front panel.  For the case where you do want to see the front panel, use the invoke node FP.Open (Front Panel).   Make sure you close the references at the end.  And depending on when the subVIs are executed, you may need to make it re-entrant.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,263 Views)

I could do it that way. However, I would like to know, why front panels of sub-VIs with 'open when called' unchecked still flash up briefly in LV 2009, while this does not happen in LV 6.1. Am I overlooking a command option?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,259 Views)

Could be anything... We would have to see the code.

I can't think of a reason..

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,254 Views)

I have done what you are doing in LV2009 extensively for years. I have not seen this behavior. I still think you have a timing and/or data flow problem.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,249 Views)

Are you using the code from LabVIEW 6.1 in LabVIEW 2009? Have you tried a mass compile to recompile all VIs?

What you are doing should work without problems. 

But we can only guess as long you can't provide an example to reproduce the problem.

Regards,

Lam

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,215 Views)

Sorry, I cannot upload the program, it has about 400 sub-VIs. I need to have the program running under LV 6.1 and LV2009, so I mass-compiled a copy of the 6.1 program with LV 2009.

It seems to be a general problem with LV2009. All Sub-VIs called during execution flash up with their front panel briefly, when show panel is unchecked in the sub-VI set-up. The problem is, that I use some of the sub-VIs at another point of the main VI, this time I want the panel to open. My current solution is to create a copy of the sub-VI with a different name and during compilation, I delete the front panel of the one I do not want to show up. I wonder if there is an easier solution.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,206 Views)